Hello My name is Julia, and I have a problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello my name is Julia, and I have an addiction to buying fish.

so i went to the petsmart to ask them to hold a 55 gal tank kit until friday (when i get my pay check). Well of course I also had to get some more food for my fish...and of course right next to the frozen fish food are these lovely tanks just filled with fish. It just so happens you can buy these! Who knew? Well as i was looking into these tanks i stumbled across a most peculiar fish its name being "The Black Ghoust Knife Fish." I can't remeber what happened, but the next thing I knew I was no longer at the petstore looking at it. I was looking at it in my own tank! 8O

I need help I just can't stop buying fish!

But other than that it appears i have a very lovely baby knife fish who is only 3 inches big for now...haha oy! :roll: I need to be kept away from the fish store...its bad for my money :p

It is an addicting hobby. :lol: I have to be the bearer of caution though, I too have impulse bought fish, but you can cause the fish more stress than you realize by buying without research. I have bought quite a few fish that were very inappropriate for my tank, most I had to return, a few died and believe it or not, I still have one (a bala shark), but have plans for him to have a good home when he outgrows the tank he is in.
The black ghost fish you bought will can get to be 20" long! You will have to become addicted to tanks as well should you plan to keep him! He is a beautiful looking fish and I certainly understand you getting him. And no doubt he will take a long time to grow, welll actually I have no idea how fast they grow.
You should post a pic of him and if you are interested here is one link describing your fish. Obviously there are more links but this one has a good photo.

Hehe thanks, yah i think i read breifly about them on the net once. I saw them and i had to have it lol! Oy vea i have problems haha. I think almost all my fish were impulse buys except my bichir. Thats only because the lady at the store told me to go read up on him before i came back haha :mrgreen:

Welcome to my world LOL, I had one fish in a vase, now I have 6 tanks and over 100 fish. Your wallet will not appreciate this addiction, turst me LOL.

You are going to need a 90 gallon for your new baby. The good news is they are not aggresive so you will be able to stock a lot of other fish with it. They like plants as well so you can have one pretty show tank.

Well i don't plan on getting a 90 gallon tank....haha i read they grow farely slow. Some one wrote they had theirs for 4 years and he was 10inches. I will proabably have to sell most of them when i go to college in 2 years :( So hopefully he wont out grow the 55 by then and if he does well i will have to ive him way sooner :(

I love my Ghost Knife. He is by far the most interesting fish that I have had up to this point. You will want to make him some caves or other places he can hide. He likes to feel like he is in something. You can also buy a Ghost House. I just picked one up from Big Al's for 5 bucks. You will also want some plants that he can hide in. Other than that you'll want some froze brine shirp and I even drop in the occasional shrimp pellet and he is perfectly happy!

I would read up on that ghost knife. If they are slow growers (like clown loaches, who only grow 1" tops per year after they hit 2"), then you do have some time before he'll need a larger tank.

Back
Top Bottom