Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyKisses

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got my API master test kit in the mail...tested nitrate(160 ppm) nitrite(0 ppm) ammonia(.25 ppm) and ph(7.6) what do I do? What are good parameters? I am really new at learning the right way to care for an aquarium. For the past three weeks, I have done a 25% wc every other day, and one 50% per week.

Forgot to add it a 29 gallon, with 6 adult platies, two blue gouramis, and ACF, and one albino bristle nose pleco. I have a filter pump(HOB) rated for a 55 gallon, temp is 80, and large bubble wand. Oh, and I did the 50% water change on Saturday.

Since you are a self proclaimed beginner, here is a link to an easy to understand nitrogen cycle chart. Learn it, know it, love it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1LeIHRRayWA/UJNYNtrdhdI/AAAAAAAAIPI/GiOy946cjKw/s1600/nitrogen-1.jpeg

160ppm nitrate is extremely toxic! With all those water changes, it should be going down. Did you let your filter cycle?

Yes, it has been up and running for about three years. I had never tested water or done regular water changes until I joined this site.

I am going to retest the nitrates, and do a water change again. How long after the wc can I test again? I will do a 50%, unless you think I should do more????

Oh wow, my apologies on the whole beginner thing! Well I'm thinking that since you've been doing all these water changes and the nitrates are high, it has something to do with the filter. Do you have a filter insert changing schedule?
I would wait about 30 mins to an hour after a wc to test again. What did the test say this time ?

Oh wow, my apologies on the whole beginner thing! Well I'm thinking that since you've been doing all these water changes and the nitrates are high, it has something to do with the filter. Do you have a filter insert changing schedule?
I would wait about 30 mins to an hour after a wc to test again. What did the test say this time ?

It still says 160ppm!!!!

Should I clean my filter media well with tank water? It is kinda gunked up...

Ok, don't panic! It's okay, as long as your fish are not literally dying before your eyes we can solve this. I hope other ppl chime in as well so we can get more opinions in here.

What is the dechlorinator that you use?
What brand of HOB filter is it and when is the last time you changed the filter inserts?
Are your fish currently struggling, or do they seem to be okay?

Ok, don't panic! It's okay, as long as your fish are not literally dying before your eyes we can solve this. I hope other ppl chime in as well so we can get more opinions in here.

What is the dechlorinator that you use?
What brand of HOB filter is it and when is the last time you changed the filter inserts?
Are your fish currently struggling, or do they seem to be okay?

I have an aqua tech 30-60, aqua safe declorinator&conditioner, and I only change the carbon filter one ever 6-8 months(everybody kept saying its important to keep the bb, so I just rinse in tank water) I have two fish that seem sick. They are older platies. They eat and swim well, their bodies just don't look right.

yes but removed the tank water before you clean the media in it! (obviously, just making sure)

I did know that part! Lol, I just cleaned the carbon, and the other insert pretty well! Should I do my water change now? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I will do whatever I have to! I have new carbon inserts, if you think I should change them?!

NEVER do a water change of more than25 percent. it will shock the fish too much and if you take out too much beneficial bacteria you could induce a waste buildup. which is probably what you are dealing with. do 25 percent wc every other day until it goes down. also, wait a little before retesting your tank because you have to let everything settle through otherwise your results might be off bc the water hasn't mixed yet. good luck!

edit: change the filter, don't do a water change right yet, I am afraid you will be taking out too much BB at one time as a lot lives in the filter. i would change the carbon, it should be changed every 4 to 6 weeks. the new that should help to process out the waste as well

Hmmm. Replace the carbon inserts this time. Since you've been doing large water changes frequently, sit this one out. I'm thinking that you may need to let some bb build up on the new inserts. The fresh carbon should help a lot. Also, I think it may be time to go get some 'Prime' and use that instead of Aqua-Safe. The one you use now is good, but Prime also helps neutralize Nitrites and Nitrates.

Ok, now I don't know what to do...one person days change the carbon, and the other days leave it...it has been about 4 months since I've changed it, if that helps. I am going to order prime right now! I can't get it anywhere around me, so I have to order everything except fish food.

Okay, don't do any more wc today. Test the water again tomorrow and let us know what it is.

Ok, I will test at 8am! I ordered the prime, and it should be here Thursday or Friday. I
Really appreciate the help! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom