help fixing a 300 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dittmerj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i bought a 300 gallon tank at an auction. it cost me $12.50. the dementions are 72" long, 36" high and 24" deep. the glass is in really good shape, for the exception of a few scratches on one side were the dummy put a snapping turtle in it. i really want to put fresh water fish in it. but ill only ask the important questions now. it has, what i would call a pressure leak. when i fill it up 3/4 of the way it doesnt leak. when i fill it up to the top it will leak to a certain point, but thats not where the water is leaking. it's coming from some place on the bottom. it has been recaulked before (a really bad job). should i fix this myself or have someone else do it. im pretty good at most things so id think with a few guys i could get it done. any thoughts would help a ton.

big tank

WOW 8O $12.50... that's amazing. I'm sure once they get over the jealousy someone else will post something more helpful but I'd search through the DIY section of the forum.. There's bound to be some info on how to there... but personally, I would try to do it myself... even if you did have someone else fix it for you, you wouldn't be losing any money on that deal... Consider yourself lucky...

I would have the tank professionally fixed, that is really a lot of water to leave anything to chance in. Especially since the tank has already been recaulked and it still leaks, you the tank could have a pretty serious issue.

With your great price, I agree with seeing a pro about the leak.
I agree it should be rather inexpensive to get a tank resealed..

James

I would phone customer service at Perfecto Mfg., Noblesville, IN and ask for their advise. I sure wouldn't want to make a mistake on a tank that size.

thanks guys, i think i'll at least ask a pro how much it costs and just have them do it. your right....thats a lot of water and pressure.

I posted on your thread over in DIY, too, but I'll add - I would probably do it myself, but only after talking to a pro. That's a lot of water to have on your living room floor...

And, I don't know if regular strength silicone can stand up to that kind of pressure.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom