Help please fish ID!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Islander009

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all I bought these three little guys as they were marked as true siamese algae eaters. They looked the part except they currently aren't doing much but schooling. Please help all freshwater gurus!!

Attachments

• image-4061004390.jpg
    image-4061004390.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1596123989.jpg
    image-1596123989.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 91
Flying fox maybe?
They don't look like algae eaters, but they're definitely not SAEs.

Edit: just googled Siamese algae eater, and those pictures look similar. I was thinking of Chinese algae eaters. my bad. :)

Those are false Siamese algae eaters. They are not good for the purpose of eating algae.

Its hard to see in the photos but it looks like just one set of barbels and stripe continuing through tail - they are True Siamese Algae (Crossocheilus siamensis) flying foxes have two sets of twin barbels not one and the stripe stops at the body. The black line down the side is also more jagged, sawtooth looking on the True SAE, the Flying Foxes is a lot smoother looking.

Last edited:
Siamese algae eaters have little tendrils in front of their pectoral fins. Falsies have a little bit of a brown tint to their coloration.

Back
Top Bottom