HELP! Water getting cloudy with a green tint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScrapIronIV

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Three weeks ago, I started getting healthy algae growth, and bought a pleco.

Everyone was happy... Algaewell controlled by the pleco, but he seemed hungry, and I fed him a couple of green peas. He eats them.

Trouble is twofold - My PH started dropping, and the water is getting cloudy with a greenish hue.

LPS can't tell me why my PH keeps dropping, and the cloudiness is getting worse.

I don't know if these issues are related or not, but I desperately wish to clear up my water.

What size tank? What's in the tank? How long have you had it? Is the tank cycled? What species of pleco? AND MOST IMPORTANT What are your water parameters (Ammonia, nitrIAtes and PH) be more specific.

Thank you - I will try to give as much as I have.

It is a 29 gallon tank, with 5 Mollies, 3 Platies and a small common Pleco (about 2.5")

The tank has cycled, and has been stable for two months. Ammonia levels are at zero/near zero. Nitrites are in the safe zone, Nitrates rarely above normal, controlled through plants and water changes. The test strips I use do not give numbers on those parameters, just color coding.

PH is down to 6.2 - but had never been a problem until the last few weeks. The only new factors are the addition of the pleco, and feeding him about 4 peas a week.

When I asked the LPS about the PH change, the response was, "Don't worry about it if it is not killing your fish." Nobody there could tell me WHY it has changed - just sold me a product to bring it back to 7.0. After using it once, PH dropped again rather quickly.

I have healthy plant growth, and the fish seem happy - not frantic, not listless, no recognizable behavior change.

That is about all I can add - I hope it is enough.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Oh - and the tank has been in operation since December, and I have had no fish lost in over two months, and they are happy enough to be breeding...

I would suggest getting reef/marine buffer and go up to about 8 on your ph like we keep reef tanks unless you have something that can't tolerate that high. (Which I cant think of anything.) Staying at 7 seems low to me. I would also try a different food. The fish I wouldn't think would have that much of an impact. Maybe it's the food. Keep in mind though that the smaller tanks are just prone to changes in levels regularly. That is one reason that is harder to maintain a 29 gallon over a 75 gallon. The bigger it is the more stable your system will be. The fact that you still have any Nitrites would lead me to believe you might be changing too much of the water out or the tank is still cycling. If your doing water changes over 5 gallons it could be taking out too much of the bacteria. Also make sure to add buffer in your DI water.

8 is way to high for most freshwater fish. For reef tanks that's a good level but usually tank in a tropical setting are at the highest healthy of range 7.8. I would steer clear from chemicals it just makes everything imbalanced in the long run.

You need to get an API Master Test Kit ASAP. The strips are way inaccurate and you really need to know the exact levels of your tank.

If I knew your real levels I could help you out more but from what I'm reading I want to say that maybe your tank isn't cycled. When cycling your ph is know to drop a little and you also have bacteria bloom which clouds your tank.

It could also be that you have an algae bloom. The green tinge in the water is deffinetly algae. What I would do about that would be scrub down your ornaments and the sides of your tank. Is your tank in direct sunlight?

You also really need to think about finding a new home for the common Pleco. They reach a massive size and a 29g tank is insufficient. Right now he will be ok and maybe for a year or two but later on he will outgrow your tank. There are other varieties that don't get so large.

Also, do you have driftwood in your tank? That can lower your ph.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Tracey -

Here are my numbers, as best I can read them from the LPS tester, who wrote them down for me (a lot cheaper to have them do it free for now :D )
Nitrate - 40
Nitrite - 0
Hardness - 150
Alkalinity - 20
PH - 6.2
Ammonia - 0

A piece of natural driftwood was added last week, after the bloom had already started and after my first low PH reading. It was boiled for over two hours prior to adding it to the tank. I was told that wood was necessary for the Pleco's health.

The Pleco has removed all algae from the tank sides and ornaments; they are as clean as they were before they started to have any visible growth. He has done such a good job of that that he seems hungry, and has been eating peas at a rate of about one per day - maybe faster - it seems as soon as he finds them they are gone, but he does not find them quickly.

My intent is to replace him with a Bristlenose Pleco as soon as one is available, but I have not been able to get that smaller, docile breed even after checking across four counties in two states. I have a friend with a 40 gallon tank that I will be giving this one to, unless I buy another - larger - tank in the next year or two. I guess that really depends on how much I learn from this experience :)

I am seeking a natural remedy for the algae and PH issues, rather than putting chemicals in the water. I was not happy with the warnings on the labels for those products.

I hope this has been enough information - and I thank you in advance for any and all assistance you have to offer!

- Dave

Ok so your tank is cycled so what you should do now is test your tap water. Your tap may have a low ph. To be honest, I wouldn't mess with the ph. Fish are adaptable they will be fine just as long as there is no major spike in ph.

As for the bloom, what your should do it change 20% of the water each day, keep the lights off as much as possible and if you can buy a couple low light plants to add to your aquarium to eat up any extra nutrients that could be causing the issue.

I've never had an algae bloom or algae at all in that matter and have no experience but I have read up on it. Hopefully someone else can help. You could also search the forums for threads on algae blooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom