Help! Wierd tiny creatures in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10 gallon fw tank with a 3in. long lobster/crawfish in it, I just looked inside and saw a ton of little brownish spots on the glass. I stared at them for a second and realized they were moving around! They're only maybe a millimeter long, I thought about maybe a snail problem, but they seem way too small and move too fast to be snails. Plus I don't see how a snail could have gotten in there. So does anyone have any clue what these things are?!?!

probably snails, they come in on plants and they make babies, FAST.

But I dont have any live plants in there. And I havn't even done anything with this tank in like a month. So nothing new has changed and they just showed up.

moving as in swaying or moving as in actually moving positions completely?

How long has it been set up, sounds like diatoms.

Moving as in completely moving to diferent areas. Changing directions too. This tank has been set up for at least 6 months. but It has been a while since the last water change.

little brown dots? can you see any cell structure when you look at them close or with a magnifying glass, even a 3x will show this cell structure, if it is I think they are some form of POD due to maybe overfeeding. From what ive read on them because I had something like that, and everything I found out points to edible and 100% OK for the fish, dont feed for a few days or feed very light and do a wicked gravel vac but stir the gravel to get em up into the water then suck em down.

Do you have a hang on back filter? if you do, vacuum the snot out of that gravel. there is no to little waterflow in that gravel so bacteria growth is at a minimum.

Yes I do and ok I will. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom