Help With fish background?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashely_packer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey i have a 125 gallon tank , and the background seems to be painted black or the glass is just black either one , but i wanted to put a nice and colorful background on there cause ima be housing a flowerhorn in there and heard black backing is bad for their color , so i was thinking can i buy a background and put it inside the tank itself? any suggestions?

I'm not too sure about the idea for putting a background inside the tank.

I'm not sure how 'tank safe' the backgrounds are. I'm not sure how well the background will stay in place being totally submerged or if it might try to peel off while doing PWC. If an edge were to peel up, a fish could rub against it and get the equivalent to a paper cut.

Since the tank is glass, I would as least give a go at trying to scrape the paint off or carefully use paint thinner and scraper to remove it (being careful to keep the thinner on the outside of the tank only).

Otherwise, I would only be willing to TRY a background INSIDE the tank based on any advice someone else comes along and gives advise base on their personal experience having tried it themselves.

Is it a glass tank? If you definetly want to get rid of the black background, try using a razor blade on a spot near the bottom where you won't see. If it is painted, it should come right off.

I have a 3D background. They are great. Hides all the cords and heater and what not. They are expensive for just being a piece of rigid foam, but they are VERY cool looking and makes a HUGE difference in the "realistic" aspect. Just go on google and look up 3D quarium backgrounds and you will find them easily.

Yeah its painted, I can scratch it off , ill try buying paint thinner or use nail Polish remvoer

I'd use a razor blade. No chance of any chemicals getting into the tank. Just be careful around the seams.

I would stay away from any paint removers, why risk it. Removing paint from glass is pretty simple. Pick up a scraper and some single edge razor blades and scrape it off, but like said before, use caution around your seems. If you keep the angle of the blade low enough the paint will scrape right off and you won't scratch the class. I removed paint from may an auto glass this way and it has never failed me.

I've always heard that black fish substrate is a good color because it really contrasts well with the colors of the fish, making their colors pop more. not to jack the thread, but I'm curious as to why the back of the tank being black is different from the sand or gravel from being black.

It is easy to get a painted background off a tank with a razor blade. Messy but easy without risking getting chemicals into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom