help with moving fish tank to new house?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annnie

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi,

i need to move my fish tanks tomorrow.. and i'm not sure how to move the shrimp.
i was wandering whether i could leave some water in the 8 gallon but i've read everywhere that you must not have any water in the tanks. Its only an 8 gallon and only going 10-15mins to the other house.. so would i be able to move them like that? i think trying to dig them out of all the java moss would stress them out too much especially the ones holding eggs.

any other info on moving would be awsome.. its my first time and i'm so clueless and stressing haha.

i would take 3 or 4 gal out and move it . i have done this with my biger tanks when i moved .i had no problem's doing this

ok its settled.. So glad its doable!..

haha dkpate! Its been a bit of a struggle getting into it tho.. the real estate agent said we cant move into it until friday... but we have to get out of this place tomorrow.. meaning big drama with the fish!.. so i convinced them to give us the garage button so i can at least put the fish there.. i didnt want to get them into a hotel for a night then move them again :-O

But so can't wait :) .. Big fish tank here i come! haha.. i went to the fish store today ;-) planning my wishlist.. and the staff were awsome! they gave me a styrofoam esky and lots of fish bags and stuff for the move for free! they even gave me a hands on lesson on bagging fish.. theres more to it than i thought haha.

Very very nice!!! (The pet shop people lol). That's crappy about the being stuck in between part! I would be soooo stressed!

oh it was very stressful!.. my bf rang me during work and my heart just stopped.. first thing i thought was we'll have to take the fish to my bf's parents house which is 2-3 hours away then bring them back down into the new house.. that would be very awful!..
You should see my preparation for the fish tho hahaha i've got so much stuff.. bought water drums and all and i'm only taking them15-20mins away. Maybe i'll photograph tomorrows journey haha.

HAHAHA! Yes! Pics! I am probably moving this fall, and it's about 6 hours, and I am already scheming a plan with an a/c adapter and rubbermaid bins. :D

glad you asked this question, i will be moving into another apartment / house soon with my 55 gallon. I will need to move it an 40 minutes away though and i have been debating how to do this the whole time. I will obviously bag the fish, but **** i worked so hard to keep the parameters IDEAL, checked them every week and now i have to dmp the water and start over!?!? I WANT TO KEEP THAT S*** LOL

donnnnnneee..
well not entirely.. the poor fish are still in the garage but i'll have to move them inside tomorrow after work.
was a bit too hectic to take photos.. but here is stuff i armed myself with.
img_1074839_0_ab9ce2f5de1b0e64576b030b12e09c6f.jpg

I bagged them up and put each bag in the eskys. and the big esky i used to put the shrimp tank with water in.. did very well!

mmaglione the water containers are great to bring your precious water in.. you dont need to throw it out.

i felt so bad when i scooped up bubbles haha.. he swam happily over to me and then BAM i scooped him haha..

and lenny the gourami.. was too big for my net!! had to go buy a bigger net halfway through the whole process.

Where did you get the very very large water containers to move your water in? They look perfect for the job!! I was just concerned that there was nothing large enough and i would have to carry 55 1 G containers which i said PHHHHHHHHH too.

Where did you get the very very large water containers to move your water in? They look perfect for the job!! I was just concerned that there was nothing large enough and i would have to carry 55 1 G containers which i said PHHHHHHHHH too.

hmm well i got them from bunnings warehouse but i'm pretty sure thats an aussie thing only.. it was in the pool section if that helps.. you might also be able to get brand new jerry cans.. the ones were you put fuel in. I'm sure you'll find something in a hardware store.. maybe walmart? i hear that store has everything haha

I have a 36G I need to move into our new house. Its only about 6-8 minutes away how much water should I take out? Should i leave the fish in it?

Back
Top Bottom