Help with stocking new tank, gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zakiya

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I’m looking at getting a new and larger tank, either 200 or 250 liters(55-65 gallons I believe) (tbd as I’m currently moving and it depends on room etc).

It will be a medium to heavily planted tank.

I’m currently thinking of stocking it with this:
- 1 Cosby gourami (or a couple of that is better)
- 8+ kuhli loaches
- 1-2 ancistrus Plecos
- 15+ rummynose tetra (or other similar sized schooling fish)

Is that an appropriate stocking level?
Can the gourami ‘work’ in this tank? I’ve both been told (and read) that Cosby (and other 3 spot) gourami are generally peaceful towards other fish and that they can be quite aggressive. I don’t want them to hurt the other inhabitants. And are they appropriate for a semi-beginner? I do have 3 other tanks but I’m still quite new in the hobby.

If the gourami won’t work are there any other blue or strong red/multicolored fish that could function as a sort of centerpiece in this setup?
I’ve looked at pearl and honey gourami and they’re not off the table but I’m not much for yellow fish in general.

That stocking should work. Tetras are fast and should be able to avoid the gourami just fine. Rummynose tetras are also not known to nip so you don't have to worry about them attacking your gourami.

That sounds great, thank you :)
I would hate to pick another fish as I’ve fallen somewhat in love with the Cosby gourami for its looks and personality but of course the most important thing is for all the fish to thrive :)

No problem. Of course keep an eye on them because each fish has a different personality.

Back
Top Bottom