Hiding Neons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JZK

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All....

My 20 gallon extra high is going fine... good water (had a ph dip, but it has remedied itself), plants growing well (low tech).... But the Neon Tetras I added last Sunday hide constantly! They share their space with 2 danios and 2 guppies, both from a previous set-up. The guppies are usually up at the top of the tank... the danios are everywhere. The danios were schooling with the tetras on Sunday, but now only the blue danio hangs with them... the zebra cruises everywhere.

Should I rehome the other fish and get 4 more neons instead? Will that bring the others out of hiding? They are really pretty since I have a tan water set-up going and it really plays to their color... but every time I approach the tank they hide behind the plants and driftwood. I cannot even count them all tonight, but saw all 7 yesterday.... today, they are all staying behind the plants and wood. Eventually, I want a single species (other than invertebrates) tank, should I just do it now?

I know they are shy by nature but jeez.....

Neons like to hide in plants: my Neons hide all the time. Over time, once they make the connection between you and food they will become less shy.

That's what they like to do [emoji4]. Since they are new they will be very shy and scared but over time they will become more comfortable . When I bought mine they stayed hidden and me just passing by the tank would scare them, and they would stick tightly together no matter what. Now after a couple weeks of having them they do their own thing and separate from each other often. Just give them enough time and they'll slowly become less shy.

Back
Top Bottom