High nitrates in tap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
My new fish are having to endure high nitrates. The tap is at 40 ppm and after just one day, the tank water rose to what looks like 80 ppm.

Will I have to use special water? I'm going to a lfs today to have both tap and tank water tested to rule out test kit problems.

Call your water company out to test your water. They should do this for free. That is way out of EPA regs so they will want to fix it. Well, they may not want to but they will try. ;)

You can just ask them to investigate and they will. It's worth a try to ask them to even just test. If they find it alarming they will fix it or you could just tell them to.

I just called the water dept. superintendent. He's an old family friend, so maybe that will help. Of course, I had to leave a message. Thing is, I can't really tell if it's 40, 50 or whatever.

From the EPA website:
"The MCLG for nitrate is 10 mg/L or 10 ppm." Sounds like it is not supposed to go over 10 ppm. Maybe my test chemicals are off. I'm certain I did enough shaking of the bottle and tube.

Skunky said:
From the EPA website:
"The MCLG for nitrate is 10 mg/L or 10 ppm." Sounds like it is not supposed to go over 10 ppm. Maybe my test chemicals are off. I'm certain I did enough shaking of the bottle and tube.

Are u using API master test kit? If so, when were they made (at the front of each bottle should have black prints on them, the last 2 numbers is the year it was made. If it is more than 3-4 years old. Then it's not very reliable. Are u able to get ur lfs to test it for u?

Yes, API. Bottle #1 reads "LOT 18B0612 EXP 06/2017." #2 READS LOT 17A0412 EXP 04/2017."

I'm going to my brother's to test his well water.

Skunky said:
I'm going to my brother's to test his well water.
If it smells of sulfur or his driveway, sidewalks or exterior walls are stained red don't use the well water no matter what it tests at for nitrate.

His water tested 5 ppm. It does not smell like anything, and is the best water in this area. I tested mine twice again from the tap. Still at 40.

Skunky said:
His water tested 5 ppm. It does not smell like anything, and is the best water in this area. I tested mine twice again from the tap. Still at 40.

Nice. Test also for pH and hardness (GH and KH) just so you know what you are dealing with. Well water tends to be high in CO2 so you may want to fill your containers and let it gas out overnight.

Nice. Test also for pH and hardness (GH and KH) just so you know what you are dealing with. Well water tends to be high in CO2 so you may want to fill your containers and let it gas out overnight.
His pH is at 8.0. Mine is 8.2. I don't have the other test chemicals. I'd like to add it to the tank today, if possible. I'm worried about my fish.
Thanks for your help!

I've had my tank water test high for nitrates when I'm down to the last 5 or 6 tests left in the bottles of API test reagents, so I was hoping you just had an almost empty test kit. But if your brother's water tested at 5 using the same test kit, maybe your water really is that high.

I know some well water can be high in nitrates, especially if the land around it was exposed to fertilizers at an earlier time. But 40 out of the tap seems really high.

I've had my tank water test high for nitrates when I'm down to the last 5 or 6 tests left in the bottles of API test reagents, so I was hoping you just had an almost empty test kit. But if your brother's water tested at 5 using the same test kit, maybe your water really is that high.

I know some well water can be high in nitrates, especially if the land around it was exposed to fertilizers at an earlier time. But 40 out of the tap seems really high.
Yes, it does seem very high!

My tap water is testing about 20-25 ppm and rising to around 40ppm in the tank. I tried everything apart from chemicals to get it down, even the nitrate sponges, but to no avail; interestingly enough, my fishes doesn't seem to be bothered and even the shrimps (that suppose to be very sensitive to water quality) are doing very good. I'm guessing that since I'm topping up the fishtank with the same water every time and the levels don't fluctuate too much it's fine for them...

Ditto. Anyone cursed with high trates from source water has the option of going planted.
At least then you are half way to providing perfect macro/micro nutrients and all thats left is proper lighting. What I'm trying to say is if your willing to go planted, high trates can be a blessing in disquise.:)

Jeta and Cichlid, I know. I love lots of plants in a tank. Mine are doing extremely well with no root tabs and are in flourite substrate under the gravel. But I'm not giving up on fish.

I took a tube of my tap water to our Petsmart. The girl tested it with Tetra Easy Strips. I told her it was from the tap. She said "your water is safe. It's at 20." ???

Skunky said:
I took a tube of my tap water to our Petsmart. The girl tested it with Tetra Easy Strips. I told her it was from the tap. She said "your water is safe. It's at 20." ???

Well she was using tetra easy strips, not very accurate.. Haha

Back
Top Bottom