Hitchhiker Queston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hovoc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I picked up a hitchhiker snail from petsmart, he was free and I kinda was hoping hed end up being a black mystery, but im starting to believe, as he gets bigger, that hes a pond snail.

At first he was very tiny, now hes, almost 1/4 inch. I found another one right next to him, very tiny. My question is, how old do these snails have to be to start reproducing, cuz either its not very long or its possibly this one tagged along when i got my CAE.

If they're pond snails, not very big at all. I had one hitchhike into my 29 tank and now they've overrun the tank.

You can try and "catch" them by putting a piece of zucchini or romaine lettuce in the tank overnight - in the morning (before lights on) they'll probably be on it chomping away and you can remove it and THEM.

Unfortunately its difficult if not impossible to get rid of all snails in your tank using the removal method. Of course as long as they don't overrun your tank theres not really a problem with leaving a few behind, but you will have to remove them again eventually.

Funny thing is, I had a skunk loach hitch hike home in a plant, never any snails. Just a matter of time?

One of my Bolivians loves them
I wish mine did. I have lots of ramshorn snails that hitchhiked in on plants.

The veggie removal method won't get rid of all of them. I tried that and got none.

As long as you don't overfeed, they should stay in low numbers. You can always just pick out any big ones you see.

Back
Top Bottom