Hoe often/ howmuch water change? Just curious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elysapeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am religious about mine. I change 20% if the water every weekend Either Friday night or Saturday morning. Obviously I do more frequent changes when problems arise, but this is my general maintanace schedule. I even have it programmed into my phone to remind me. (Its also set to remind me of my tank light and feeding schedules) Are you all creatures of habit too? What is your water change schedule?

No routine for me! I will do 30% one day, then 12 days later do 60% than 3 days later do 20% than 8 days later 25% haha just random. BUT I do test my water on the first of every month. I feed twice a day, before I go to work and when I get home from work.

I keep a log for each of my tanks. I note how much water I change, what additives I've used (Safe, stress guard, stability, flourish, meds etc), if I have cleaned a filter or changed any media, if I have added or removed plants/driftwood/rocks etc, what the parameters are, if I have added or lost any fish..... The hope is that I will be able to ensure that I'm changing enough water, often enough, and be able to trace back to possible causes when problems come up. And problems are always coming up because I still consider myself a newb :)

Each tanks schedule is determined by its bio load. The goldfish need a 25-35% change every couple of days (and they have a 1000l/h canister, two large HOBs, two internal otto-type filters and a large power head-driven sponge filter. 8-0

The other tanks get pwc twice a week equalling approx 50%. According to the log on my 6ft, I'm going to have to step that up, as nitrates are starting to creep up again :-(

50% for my 20 gallon high tech every saturday. 50 % for my 40 gallon every two weeks( i might switch to 25-30% every week). And, i have no schedule for my 20 gallon long dirted tank :)

50% at least once a week on the 29. The 10 gets a 30-40% weekly as well. I feed mon, wed and fri at night and rotate through different foot types. Add liquid ferts when I remember 'hides'. Monthly I swish the media out in old tank water as well as wide down the hoods.

25% to 50% a week for me. If a problems arises then I'll do a 50% then wait a day or two and then do 25% then wait and do a 10%. It really depends on the situation.

Back
Top Bottom