Goldfish and Ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there I’m Shin and I’m new to this forum!
I recently upgraded from a 15 gallon tank to a 40 gallon last week. After my guppies have all passed on from old age. My mother and I decide to get a goldfish.

I had to keep him/her (just gonna use him for the moment) in my 15 gallon for a few days while our new tank was in shipping. At that time I noticed my goldfish would want to bump itself into one of the front corner of the tank and into the sand. (He did this when he was in the bag as well on our way home from the pet store)
Next day he was kinda lethargic and clamping and gulping at the top and staying at the bottom. I knew then that he need to get his new home ASAP.

After setting up the new 40 gallon tank and letting it run for a while until the temperature was at the same time as the bucket that we kept him in that’s when I moved him into his new tank. He stopped doing those things and resume begin a curious and active goldfish he was. I was happy until I saw he started to have these black spots on him. At first one or two small scales turn now it seems to spread? I know I read that the ammonia might be the cause and it started to heal?
Since then I used the API master water test kit and been doing regular 25% water change a day. I also fast him every one day I feed him and then siphon his poop before the end of the day.

I would really love to give him the best environment he could have! I use to have a 8 year old black moor when I was a child. So I love goldfish and so this new little buddy is special to me.

Also would you be able to tell me what type of goldfish he is? The store sold him for 35 usd.

Tank size: 40 gallon Breeder
Goldfish Count: 1
Food: Rhapsy Gel food and occasional 1-3 flakes.
Tried lettuce and cilantro (didn’t seem to like it much)
Feeding times: 1x a day or two but little feed only
Goldfish size: 4.5 inches
Uses Prime when doing water change

From 1/26/2020 - 1/28/2020
Ammonia: 0.25 -0.50ppm
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
PH: 8.2
(After 25% water change every day it goes down to 0.25ppm and next morning it’s back to 0.50 ppm. I try to feed one day and next day fast)
Temperature: 70 degrees heater

Filter sponge Size: Large (been running since last two years)
HOB: Aqueon 20 gallon (do I need to upgrade?)

Additional information:
I’m getting a active sponge soon though this weekend just in case to see if it can help with the ammonia level.

I notice the Ammonia test tube if I leave it till morning it turn back to a yellow as if it’s 0ppm even though after the 5 minutes if the wait time it’s shows the 0.50 ppm.

Other Questions:
Would the ammonia scab like black spot heal on its own? If so how long?

Perhaps is it due to having a semi dark color dragon decor that he starts changing his color? If that is possible?

How do I get the PH down to 7.2-7.6?

If he swims back and forth in the front of the tank is that a good sign? (No longer gasping air at the top anymore or laying on the bottom of the new tank)

Thank you so much for taking your time in reading this thread!
-Shin

Attachments

• 63E575AC-C305-4501-8B84-3720E1DD65F0.jpg
    63E575AC-C305-4501-8B84-3720E1DD65F0.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 1,385
  • 426B509F-8CDE-49BE-8D1A-997D696D7501.jpg
    426B509F-8CDE-49BE-8D1A-997D696D7501.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 189
Hi there I’m Shin and I’m new to this forum!
I recently upgraded from a 15 gallon tank to a 40 gallon last week. After my guppies have all passed on from old age. My mother and I decide to get a goldfish.

I had to keep him/her (just gonna use him for the moment) in my 15 gallon for a few days while our new tank was in shipping. At that time I noticed my goldfish would want to bump itself into one of the front corner of the tank and into the sand. (He did this when he was in the bag as well on our way home from the pet store)
Next day he was kinda lethargic and clamping and gulping at the top and staying at the bottom. I knew then that he need to get his new home ASAP.

After setting up the new 40 gallon tank and letting it run for a while until the temperature was at the same time as the bucket that we kept him in that’s when I moved him into his new tank. He stopped doing those things and resume begin a curious and active goldfish he was. I was happy until I saw he started to have these black spots on him. At first one or two small scales turn now it seems to spread? I know I read that the ammonia might be the cause and it started to heal?
Since then I used the API master water test kit and been doing regular 25% water change a day. I also fast him every one day I feed him and then siphon his poop before the end of the day.

I would really love to give him the best environment he could have! I use to have a 8 year old black moor when I was a child. So I love goldfish and so this new little buddy is special to me.

Also would you be able to tell me what type of goldfish he is? The store sold him for 35 usd.

Tank size: 40 gallon Breeder
Goldfish Count: 1
Food: Rhapsy Gel food and occasional 1-3 flakes.
Tried lettuce and cilantro (didn’t seem to like it much)
Feeding times: 1x a day or two but little feed only
Goldfish size: 4.5 inches
Uses Prime when doing water change

From 1/26/2020 - 1/28/2020
Ammonia: 0.25 -0.50ppm
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
PH: 8.2
(After 25% water change every day it goes down to 0.25ppm and next morning it’s back to 0.50 ppm. I try to feed one day and next day fast)
Temperature: 70 degrees heater

Filter sponge Size: Large (been running since last two years)
HOB: Aqueon 20 gallon (do I need to upgrade?)

Additional information:
I’m getting a active sponge soon though this weekend just in case to see if it can help with the ammonia level.

I notice the Ammonia test tube if I leave it till morning it turn back to a yellow as if it’s 0ppm even though after the 5 minutes if the wait time it’s shows the 0.50 ppm.

Other Questions:
Would the ammonia scab like black spot heal on its own? If so how long?

Perhaps is it due to having a semi dark color dragon decor that he starts changing his color? If that is possible?

How do I get the PH down to 7.2-7.6?

If he swims back and forth in the front of the tank is that a good sign? (No longer gasping air at the top anymore or laying on the bottom of the new tank)

Thank you so much for taking your time in reading this thread!
-Shin
Hello, don't know about ammonia burns but I do know that when a good fish is healing the scale or fin it grows out black. I purchased a baby fantail goldie (30%off) from Petco that was missing most of her tail fin & it grew back in black. It changed back to normal in a few months. Hope this helps!!!!!
I think it may be oranda. Not sure though. Looks like start of wen on head.

Make sure you get that ammonia down to zero though

Chronic ammonia won’t make it easy for it to heal

Back
Top Bottom