HOLY COW -- Wal Mart 3day vs 90 day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaowl

Aquarium Advice Regular
A week ago I bought 3 various snails at Wal Mart. I presumed it was 3 day guarantee same as fish.

Well I was there today & got 3 gourami -- THEY HAVE CHANGED THEIR POLICY to 90 DAYS!!

I would think that is a bit extreme! I think they are trying to beat Petco that offers 15 day guarantee

HAHA. At that rate wal-mart will end the fish selling as I cant fathom very many of their fish acutally last more than 3 months from purchase.

It be true! WM did change the policy to 90 days..but I told my store manager itwas absurd, so I have my return policy at 14 days.

HAHA. At that rate wal-mart will end the fish selling as I cant fathom very many of their fish acutally last more than 3 months from purchase.

FF, you obviously have never gotten fish from my store! They are indestructable! Haha! :wink:

I have had just as good of luck with fish from Wal Mart as I have had from Petco. There are only 2 other lfs in my area. One I haven't in & the other is nice but a lot of young kids are always 'hanging' out there and the staff is watching them when you would like to ask quetions.

Your wal-mart has fish staff? Amazing concept for sure. Ours gets a lovly call over the PA when the people watching the security cameras decide someone needs help.

Since I dont buy many FW fish walmart doesnt have what I am looking for but sometimes the ratio of dead to living fish in the tanks is not a very favorable one.

Our Walmart has a couple of people that work in that area regularly, so it's not a fish morgue. I've bought a couple of live plants from them and a couple of fish.

Well I was in my local Wal-Mart on Friday and saw a very pretty betta in one of those death vases(as I like to call them) to bad he had been dead for some time and was growing fungus on him.

There is NEVER anyone around to get you fish(not that I get many fish from them).
I saw three people looking around for someone to get them fish and they even called for someone over the pa but after several calls no one showed up.

So I got my sons albino cory myself and walked away.

That place is a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :evil:

Every store is different. There are two stores close to me, one is terrible and the other is a little better as far as upkeeping their tanks. I will NOT buy a fish or anything from a tank in one of the stores; its that bad. I have bought several from the other and didnt have any problems....Either way, it seems that 90 days is a generous offer for any store, let alone wal-mart.

Even though our Wal-Mart is much worse than the other LFSs in my area, they aren't too bad compared to some of your descriptions. There is a little more disease in their tanks than I like, but I have gotten a few fish from them over the last few months, and they are still alive and well!

I bought a blue gourami there as nobody else had them in town, and 2 months later, he has gone from a dull silver like he was at Wal-Mart into a beautiful deep blue! I have never gotten a bad fish at Wal-Mart, but I am very picky to choose the best looking one...

Anyway, as long as you have a QT tank, I don't mind buying fish at Wal-Mart. It's almost like you are rescuing them from some small child who will probably kill them. :)

Paul

Yeah, this will get Walmart out of the Fish selling buisness.

Some suit will ask. "How is this contributing to our bottom line?" and that will be that.

Sad perhaps. The first 2 years of my Fishkeeping life were spent standing on my tip toes, staring into a clowdy tank and trying to decide whether I wanted the Barb that was missing an eye. Or the one that was eating a 3 day old dead fish.

I don't know about you guys, but Wal-Mart is not much of a fish store. Most of the fish I got from them died, but where you buy your fish is your business. I wouldn't recommend Wal-Mart though.

pkremer said:
It's almost like you are rescuing them from some small child who will probably kill them. :)
That is prob. true. Most LFS's have ammonia in their systems anyway because of their weekly overstocking habits! Have you seen tanks where you buy angels? About 10 or 12 of em in a 5 gal! Mostly the store say about their starter kits "buy one of them, you can fit 6 angels in that! Its 20 litres!" Lol. I wish somebody knew what they were doing. Another thing that really annoys me is the fact that they are now advising people to buy ammo-lock to get rid off ammonia! (Ammo-lock only detoxifies!) and they are issueing nitrazorb which will starve the bacteria! Thank god I listen to you guys, otherwise I'd have a morgue!

The first 2 years of my Fishkeeping life were spent standing on my tip toes, staring into a clowdy tank and trying to decide whether I wanted the Barb that was missing an eye. Or the one that was eating a 3 day old dead fish

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was in petsmart and you know how they have tiny little pics of tanks in the fish section....if you look close they're over crowded. Same with the box of a tank kit.

There were 5 dead angels in a tank @ petsmart and I told the guy like I usually do when theres a floater, and he said " Gee I dont know whats wrong...." and left it there. I wanted to reach in and get them out myself!!! :evil:

cheezysquirrelz said:
I was in petsmart and you know how they have tiny little pics of tanks in the fish section....if you look close they're over crowded. Same with the box of a tank kit.

There were 5 dead angels in a tank @ petsmart and I told the guy like I usually do when theres a floater, and he said " Gee I dont know whats wrong...." and left it there. I wanted to reach in and get them out myself!!! :evil:

ARGH! That makes me so angry. I went there earlier and they were selling two three spot gouramis to people and neither the seller or the buyer knew what they were doing! The newbies said they had the tiny 20 litre tank and then the selller said that it was fine, they could have two plecos with them if they felt their selection was too small!
I was so angry I felt like saying that they were wrong. I would have been standing there yelling my head off with millions of people staring.
"you're so show-offy, well let me say you're WRONG! I hate this place it is a deathtrap...."
URGH......

Truth be told, people can complain about chain stores until they are blue in the face...and nothing will ever happen.

Don't get me wrong, I have tons of complaints about places. Overall though, the Wal-Marts (even the one I run) and petsmarts in my area are all pretty good. Especially the petsmart. It depends on managment of the individual stores.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that Wal-Marts and other chain stores get their fish from all the same places that might ship to your prized LFS. It's not the fish, but usally the upkeep. Every store is going to have dead in the tanks, that's just a fact, but how well the tanks are maintained (ie: dead pulled, water changed, etc) the better they look. Each store is different...

90 days is a little extreme though, I agree.

Back
Top Bottom