Hooray for nitrItes! Update: cycle complete!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryorgason

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had about 5.5 ppm ammonia on Friday when I seeded my 30 gal tank, and Saturday it was the same. Then I didn't get a chance to test again until today, and ammonia was at 0 and nitrItes at 5+. So my cycle is going at a good pace already, and I added in more ammonia. Now I just hope it keeps going as it is so I can have fish again soon! I guess I'd better figure out what kind of fish I want (besides cories).

congrads!!! soon you'll be decorating, adding fish and having a field day with your tank lol let us know how things keep going

My nitrIes have been sitting there at 5+ ppm since the 29th or 30th, and nitrAtes have been at about 5 ppm since the 31st. So being naturally anxious to speed up my cycle and get fish as soon as possible, I sought out new seed material today. I got 4 bio balls (which I had never heard of before) at an LFS today, and added them to my filter this afternoon.

Tonight I tested, and came up with 0 nitrItes and 20 ppm nitrAtes! Yippee, progress! However, ammonian was at .5 ppm, even though it's been at 0 since the 29th or 30th. I hope that doesn't mean my cycle is stalling! I will try adding a smaller amount of ammonia than usual, and see where it stands tomorrow. I'm really hoping I can get fish by the end of the week!

Sounds like your new seed did the trick, you are almost certainly only a day or two away. Add 2ppm ammonia and see where you are in 24 hours.

I added my normal dose of ammonia, so it is between 2 and 3 ppm now. I guess I just have to wait til tomorrow to see what happens!

I hadn't been checking my ph, and Sunday ammonia was at nearly 1 ppm. So I did a ph test and it was down to nearly 6! After a 50-60% water change, it was still lower than I would like (about 6.5), so I added a little pinch of baking soda. Monday morning it was up to 7, and last night things were looking really good!

ammonia: 0
nitrItes: just a trace
nitrAtes: 20
ph: 7

So it looks like my tank is pretty much cycled, and it has been less than 2 weeks since I added the first seed material! I will check tonight to make sure everthing is still good, and then hopefully get fish tomorrow or Thursday! I think next time I cycle a tank, in addition to checking the ph more often, I will try to seed it both at the beginning, and as soon as I see nitrItes.

Back
Top Bottom