How can i cycle a 2.5 gallon aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettakeeper27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I bought a 2.5 gallon aquarium kit and started it up with everything. I have a filter, gravel, two fake plants, and a hiding place decoration thing. I didn't get the fish yet though because I heard you had to do a "cycle" first. What is this cycle, and how can I do it? Also how long will it take? One more thing, this is my first aquarium so please be very specific, also because I am only 14 as well.

Are you planning on keeping Bettas (as your name suggests :) ) or other fish?

If Bettas, you don't really need to cycle. Bettas do not like a lot of water movement (flow) and to "cycle" you need that flow and to keep it. I have a 2.5 as well with two Bettas...separated of course. I do a full clean out, as in dump all the old water, do a quick rinse of the gravel and plants, refill and pop the Bettas back in, once a week.

The filter included with the kit barely moves the water at all.

you shouldnt keep a betta in there,they really should have a heatedv and filtered tank,5 gallon minimum.

tlkng1 said:

If Bettas, you don't really need to cycle. Bettas do not like a lot of water movement (flow) and to "cycle" you need that flow and to keep it. I have a 2.5 as well with two Bettas...separated of course. I do a full clean out, as in dump all the old water, do a quick rinse of the gravel and plants, refill and pop the Bettas back in, once a week.

You should cycle EVERY tank for EVERY type of fish, shrimp, etc... Cycling refers to the nitrogen cycle...not water flow or filtration.

Check out the guide in my signature about fishless cycling.

WOW thanks! And yes I am going to keep a betta. That makes it much easier. I still have two more questions though. First, is it ok if a do a complete clean out once every other week! Also, I don't have to worry about in water levels and such? Or should I get a test kit thing and if I do what do I check

:)....I must have bettas that like to be claustrophobic. They actually prefer the smaller tank..more active and inquisitive. They tended to hover in one corner (next to each other against the separator) in the 5 gal.

Others will respond so maybe some more thoughts on size.

first,get a larger tank(at least 5 gallons)then buy a heater and a filter.and get an api freshwater master test kit.if you only get the 5 gallon tank,do like...2 50%water changes a week.

alLexX said:
first,get a larger tank(at least 5 gallons)then buy a heater and a filter.and get an api freshwater master test kit.if you only get the 5 gallon tank,do like...2 50%water changes a week.

+1

If you do end up getting a 5, then you will be able to put some other inhabitants aswell. For example ghost shrimp, snails, some Neon Tetras, or a ADF.

eco...I realize the flow is not the same as cycling..I was trying to keep the verbiage simple, however, you can't deny that in order for a tank to cycle, there HAS to be water movement.

Betta...if you aren't going to cycle in a larger tank and use a better filter, weekly changes are best, otherwise, you get a large buildup of the things you don't want, like Ammonia.

Which kit did you get?

I am not saying not to cycle, just telling you how I have my pair set-up. The idea in these forums is to take what people say and adapt the information to your own situation. :)

+1

If you do end up getting a 5, then you will be able to put some other inhabitants aswell. For example ghost shrimp, snails, some Neon Tetras, or a ADF.
with a betta in a five,i really wouldnt put more than shrimp or snails in.

No, don't do a complete clean out. Don't change 100% of the water, and don't wash the gravel, plants, etc. in the tank.
You should get a test kit.
Definitely become completely familiar with the nitrogen cycle, like eco23 suggested, before you consider fish. If you understand the process, you're less likely to make mistakes.

tlkng1 said:
eco...I realize the flow is not the same as cycling..I was trying to keep the verbiage simple, however, you can't deny that in order for a tank to cycle, there HAS to be water movement.

Betta...if you aren't going to cycle in a larger tank and use a better filter, weekly changes are best, otherwise, you get a large buildup of the things you don't want, like Ammonia.

Which kit did you get?

I am not saying not to cycle, just telling you how I have my pair set-up. The idea in these forums is to take what people say and adapt the information to your own situation. :)

Understood, but the statement "With Bettas you don't really need to cycle" is a dangerous statement to have floating around.

tlkng1 said:

Taking your fish out of your tank then putting them back in on a weekly basis would be very, very stressful to your fish.

A cycled tank is the best way to keep any aquarium fish/inverts. Anything else will only increase the stress of your fish and magnify the headaches of the fish keeper. ;)

Bettas still like a little flow, just not much, use a sponge filter with a valve to adjust airflow if the pump is too strong, the most stagnant ponds on earth still have water movement from heat with the sun and mini "tides" from both sun and moon and wind and a dog that desides it's a good day for a swim lol

In that small of a tank you don't have to cycle it. Typically 5 gal.+ is when it's recommended to cycle your tank. And in a 5 gal., no other fish! Only shrimp, snails and ADF's. I have one of mine in a 2.5 and he's doing great! Good luck.

In that small of a tank you don't have to cycle it. Typically 5 gal.+ is when it's recommended to cycle your tank. And in a 5 gal., no other fish! Only shrimp, snails and ADF's. I have one of mine in a 2.5 and he's doing great! Good luck.
IMO,a 2.5 is too small for ADFs.they like company.

I got the minibow 2.5 aquarium kit. and I am willing to try to do the fishless cycle thing before i get a fish, if possible. Is it?

Bettakeeper27 said:
I got the minibow 2.5 aquarium kit. and I am willing to try to do the fishless cycle thing before i get a fish, if possible. Is it?

Best option, if you can, would be to return the 2.5 and hopefully get a 5 gallon kit. More room for happy fish, easier to cycle and you'll probably end up wanting a bigger one in a few weeks anyway :)

I WILL cycle my 2.5 gallon tank. lol, im determined now. But dont worry, this tank will be its tempory home until i save up my allowance to get a five gallon. maybe in 2-4 months. Thanks for the help EVERYBODY :) By the way thank you eco23 for the cycling guide, helped me understand everything.

Back
Top Bottom