How can i cycle a 2.5 gallon aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bettakeeper27 said:
I WILL cycle my 2.5 gallon tank. lol, im determined now. But dont worry, this tank will be its tempory home until i save up my allowance to get a five gallon. maybe in 2-4 months. Thanks for the help EVERYBODY :) By the way thank you eco23 for the cycling guide, helped me understand everything.

That's what it's there for :). I'm glad you took the time to check it out. I'll be happy to help in any way I can along the way.

Thanks! In that case i need some advice from you. My mom just told me we are going camping on June 23 for three days, then after that we are going to a lake for a week starting on july 2. I was planning on starting the cycle tomorrow, but im not sure if the person who watches my other pets can do the tests. So should I wait to start my cycle after all my trips or just go ahead and start it tomorrow, because Ive heard it takes a long time to brin the bacteria down the first two times. Thanks

the smaller the tank the quicker the cycle. if you got some seeded material then it'd take a week or so to cycle.

Bettakeeper27 said:
Thanks! In that case i need some advice from you. My mom just told me we are going camping on June 23 for three days, then after that we are going to a lake for a week starting on july 2. I was planning on starting the cycle tomorrow, but im not sure if the person who watches my other pets can do the tests. So should I wait to start my cycle after all my trips or just go ahead and start it tomorrow, because Ive heard it takes a long time to brin the bacteria down the first two times. Thanks

Do you have all the things you need like pure ammonia, dechlorinator and a quality liquid test kit? It's super important you have the right type of ammonia...make sure it's pure and not just something your parents have laying around the house (the correct type is covered in the guide). I'd say go ahead and add the ammonia in to give things a head start. Unless you have seeding material, it can take quite some time before the ammonia starts dropping, so there's really not even a reason to test for a while. I'd say to go ahead and get things started, and we'll worry about what we're gonna do in July once we get closer to that time. If you've got to wait a long time for ammonia to drop...you might as well be out camping or at the lake instead of staring at colored test tubes every day :)

With the Mini-Bow you are going to need to get rid of the stock filter..it isn't strong enough to give the oxygen or water movement a cycling tank is going to need. There are small, mini-filters available such as Tetra Whisper 3i In-Tank Filter | Internal Aquarium Filters | Filters | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com or I like rthis one as well which would be good for a cycled tank http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/4066/product.web

As was already suggested, an air pump with a small sponge filter would also work

Lee's Dual Action Foam Filters | Sponge Aquarium Filters | Filters | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com (sponge filter) and Mini-8 Aquarium Air Pump | Air Pumps | Air Pumps & Supplies | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com (air pump).

Back
Top Bottom