How do i breed these guppies???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The guy at the LFS told me that the mom doesnt eat the fry only the other fish do. Bull right? It does come with the seperater i didnt put it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I only know that platys and mollies do eat their fry. It is possible guppies don't. I put a few fake plant parts (small) for the fry to hide in.

They would not eat all their fry, that is an urban myth, how would a species have survived millions of years if it eats all its offspring. I think your tank is very pretty! Low tech and attractive, i want to do something like this myself soon, My Bare bottom tanks are ugly! Where do you find those tanks without frames?
Honestly, anywhere from 76-82 degrees F is fine temperature, maybe you just need to buy some more guppies. You can do the floating plants thing if you really want fry, or maybe also the females can be Chased by the males so much they don't have babies because they can never relax, so always try to keep a 2:1 Female to male ratio. This may not sound important but you get many more babies if you do and babies are so easy and fun to raise.
how many guppies are in this tank? it looks to be about ten gallon, i would just do 1-2 male and 3-4 females in a tank this size, but of course you could put more.
I have been raising guppies for 5 years, and also my dad raised guppies when i was a child and i watched him, so you can take my advice as sound. Once again PRETTY tank! i love it, was just thinking last night how americans spend too much money on fancy setups for fish when all they really need is plastic tanks and some gravel/airstone! All of your Good bacteria will live happily in the gravel, and its easy and fun to look at not like some kind of hospital room like we raise our guppies in america. lol

Guppies most certainly do. I've watched them myself. Your LFS guy is full of it.

Umm, know your facts before boasting so much buddy. And what makes you assume we work at a fish store, i sure as hell don't.
Yes a female guppy will eat a small fry here and there, but theres no way shes eating ALL 20-30 of her babbies every drop, month after month, its physically not possible!

Of course they don't eat all their fry. I hope I didn't give you, OP, the impression that is what I said. I don't see where that was stated in the thread, but if it seemed implied, it was not.

Thanks matt for all the info. I need to get more guppys but they dont have anymore in my LFS at the moment. My tank is exactly 10 gallons. Its for
My guppies, i now put the female in the breeding box cause shes pregnant so weel see what happens. Thanks for liking my tank. This is my display tank, 80 gal tropical. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412260332.715797.jpg

I am interested, where do you find these tanks with no frame? I think it looks much nicer than a dumb plastic black frame, sometimes i even try to pull the frame off my ten gallons, after they get old it just falls off one time, and i like the way this looks.

I am interested, where do you find these tanks with no frame? I think it looks much nicer than a dumb plastic black frame, sometimes i even try to pull the frame off my ten gallons, after they get old it just falls off one time, and i like the way this looks.
They can be bought at most aquarium stores. people have mixed feelings on them though. You cant really keep snails in rimless tanks because they usually crawl out and its simple to slosh water over the side making clean up a pita.

I wouldnsuggest a canopy if you dont like the trim.

How much do they cost? and what is a "canopy" I do know a store that could get some , nebaska aquatic supply, but im sure the frameless are more expensive than regular, even tho its lacking in parts not adding parts. I don't care about the snails one bit, their just pests to me and they can crawl in and out as they please! lol Ive never bought snails they just crawl in my tanks.

What do u mean by frameless? I bought this tank hére in argentina (buenos aires) but in Miami i saw a few at a LFS.

Guys female guppies in the wild don't get all the fry because they hide. They will eat them all in an unplanted tank where there is no where to hide. Your tank should save a couple

Emerald76

It will stress them. I wouldn't put her in until just before birth

Emerald76

Umm, know your facts before boasting so much buddy. And what makes you assume we work at a fish store, i sure as hell don't.
Yes a female guppy will eat a small fry here and there, but theres no way shes eating ALL 20-30 of her babbies every drop, month after month, its physically not possible!
Know my facts? I was speaking from personal experience. I have guppies, and I have watched both males and females eat their own fry. I never said they eat ALL the fry. I was responding to the statement by the LFS guy that "female guppies don't eat their own fry" but they do; I've watched them do it. Didn't say how many she would or could eat. Just that she would eat them. In fact, I wouldn't say she would eat them all, because I've had guppies survive and grow into adults in a sparsely decorated tank with their parents as well as several corydoras catfish. Also, how is it boasting just to say that my personal experience directly contradicts what someone else said?

First off take out the male before the female dies of stress. She is already pregnant and there is no need to put her in with a male they can and will breed out in the tank no need for confinement. She should deliver in about a week.

Emerald76

My guppy tank is only a 10 gallon. It has just one decoration, a hollow plastic stump with fake plants attached on both sides. Yet we still have a few guppies survive from each spawn. The breeder traps aren't really necessary and I agree with emerald that they're mostly just stressful on the fish. The only one I recommend is one I have that is mesh but doesn't have compartments, it does have some fake plants built onto the inner frame that are comforting to the fish and the mesh somewhat conceals the rest of the tank so the mother doesn't feel quite so vulnerable. Just watch her closely and remove her as soon as she spawns, then all the babies will be in the trap

Know my facts? I was speaking from personal experience. I have guppies, and I have watched both males and females eat their own fry. I never said they eat ALL the fry. I was responding to the statement by the LFS guy that "female guppies don't eat their own fry" but they do; I've watched them do it. Didn't say how many she would or could eat. Just that she would eat them. In fact, I wouldn't say she would eat them all, because I've had guppies survive and grow into adults in a sparsely decorated tank with their parents as well as several corydoras catfish. Also, how is it boasting just to say that my personal experience directly contradicts what someone else said?

I was a little puzzled by the energy of that response and thought maybe I was the one who implied that, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the thread either. Nor could I find the assumption that anyone worked at a pet store. Glad I am not crazy, though not sure if I am taken seriously either ;)

Back
Top Bottom