How do you add natural items to your tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhillieSniper115

Aquarium Advice Freak
I has some shells that would go nice in my tank so I was wondering if it would be appropriate to ad them. They are clean but also do I need to biol them first? Or let them sit in water over night? How should I add them? Can I even ad them?

Ps this post also is to help out anyone else w the same problem so if it gets a little offtopic I don't mind! :)

I'd definitely boil them first. I had some 'clean rocks' that I transferred to my beta tank from a lake, and the beta got sick and died the following morning which was really upsetting. With rocks you're suppose to bake them to rid them of all the bacteria but I'm not sure if you can bake shells? Either way it's fairly risky, but I would atleast suggest doing something more than soaking them. Hope that helps a bit.

I think they raise your Ph, and they're made of calcium so they might raise your carbonate hardness, too.
I just wanted to post to keep you from putting them in. Someone will come along with a better explanation.

I was told not to put my shells (from the ocean) in my FW tanks either. It was a disappointment but better that than killing my fish.

I rinsed off saltwater shells in the tap really well and have never had any problems with it. Other people on this site have had the same experience with it

Id boil to be safe

Back
Top Bottom