How does everyone set there lighting timer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
usually around 1-2pm they turn on ( i work nights, so i sleep late), and around 2-3 am they turn off (that way I can watch the tank before i go to bed. it is my way of winding down after work, and waiting tables, i need that wind down). My tank is heavily planted, and i gotta keep some food in there for the ottos :D they all have nice healthy bellies

My tank has a similar schedule as hsherman...on around 1pm, off around 3am (14 hours of lighting, but my tank's low-light anyway).

The moonlights look interesting...so I'm going to look into those and maybe add those to the set-up. :)

i've just changed my light times, they now come on at 0800 go off at 0900 then come on at 1700 - 2300 cos thats the times im at home!

I used to have the lights go on at 6:30am and off at 10pm when I had ~2wpg and DIY CO2 injection. Now I'm up to over 4wpg (65w CF on 20gallon), and have the lights on from 6:30am to ~7-8pm. Is this too much light? What is the proper amount of high light per day for the plants, and at what point does the extra light just grow algae?

I got a nice digital timer last night, but must have screwed up since it didn't work properly. I like the idea of the light going off around noon for a couple of hours, since I'll be at work and it will give the fish a nice siesta. :)

8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m
I have a 36 gallon bowfront, it originally came with 1*20 watt fixture- Algae probs gallore.
I removed the hood and fixture, made a glass top and light hood that fits 4x20watt bulbs. I wanted to be on the lower end for a planted tank (2.2 watts/gal.) so I wouldnt NEED to use C02. I wanted a fairly low maint. tank. I am using lots of lower light plants and they do very well. Bought a 7 dollar timer and have it set for 8 am - 8:30 pm.. That lighting period seems to be working great for the conditions of this particular tank as I have decent growth (red tips on various types of hygo), and no undesirable algaes. I really belive that finding the right photo period for each tank is important, to combat algae.

Back
Top Bottom