How Long Till You Can Sex Mollies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samuel-Bennett

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got 5 Dalmation Mollies, I got them a few weeks ago, they were only a couple of weeks old though, right now they all look like females but do they change? I'm sure I did read that.

I was gonna look it up but I have another question as well, they're all pretty calm and normal but one of them is very lively and charges at other fish and stuff, so I was wondering if that one might be a male?

This either makes sense or I've dreamt that they change and I look like a crazy person lol

As soon as they are big enough to clearly see the anal fin.
They do not change sex.

Oh right thanks! See why I joined the forum? so I get a proper answer. I read that they change sex on a site, info seems to be different everywhere.

I've heard an average of 6-8 weeks you should be able to tell the difference between male and female molly fry. But that's average, might take longer or shorter. You never know, but that's nature for ya lol.

I have 28 (!) molly fry born on 2/28 (coincidence?) and caught on tape. I have yet to sex them or ident them, but Mom is a creamsicle lyretail and I think dad is probably a silver sailfin. They all look a little orange right now. Anal fin triangular = female (all start like this) and straight/tucked = male.

Back
Top Bottom