How many fish can I keep in a 30gal ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UsePinkCrayons

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Am I overstocked in fish as of now?
In my 30 gal I have

2 female guppies (one is pregnant)
3 mollies (regular) 1 m / 2 f
3 platies 1 m / 2 f
2 male albino cories
3 guppy fry (assuming other guppy was pregnant.)
1 ghost shrimp

I'm fairly new to all of this, however my tank has been established for nearly 6 months. It's landscaped and decorated. Yes, my tank has been cycled and I monitor my nitrates, nitrite, ammonia, Dissolved O2, temp and Ph levels biweekly. :) However, I got all these new fishies as a recommendation from my LFS after my other fish died. (not all at once, progressively) . I'm wondering now ( about a month after LOL) if he sold me too many fish, or set me up for a tank overload with the the coed livebearers. Oh goodness.

A general guideline is about 1" of fish per gallon, but this really only applies to small fish. I think you can fit some more fish in there but if you try to keep all the fry you'll be overrun soon enough.

Cories are much happier with 5+ in their school. :> I think you're good, as long as you do plenty of water changes and have powerful filtration. You may want to consider getting a smaller tank for the guppy fry if you want to keep them. I'm pretty sure most LFS will buy them. ;)
Add some more cories!

Back
Top Bottom