How many neon tetras can I have in a 10 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlatyTetra831

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am thinking about starting a neon only tank, how many can I have in the 10 gallon? I may add some shrimp in there but that's it. I am gonna cycle the tank for at least 3 weeks before adding the fish in.

I prefer 20Longs for Neons. But I have used a 10g in the past. I like tiny fish in 10g. Celestial Pearl Danios for ex.

But I applaud you for wanting a species tank. Neons look great in bigger groups. I have 21 in my 55g and they are so fun to watch.

I'd say 6-8 should work. Then maybe bump up to 10 if things are staying stable.

If you are just starting with a new set up you want to have only a few fish to start. Let the nitrites and nitrates settle in and let the good stuff grow before introducing too many fish at once. Once your tank is established you may want to add a few more and eventually, if you have good filtration as mentioned above, you may be able to add 10 neons. Water changes are important and be sure not to over feed the fish. Maybe you already know these things lol. Be sure to test the water in the first few months to make sure things are stable.

Back
Top Bottom