how much aggression is too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm watching my little 5 gallon right now and I'm noticing my male betta is being a bit more testy with my cories than he has in the past. He has actually struck at them a few times but mainly just flares and chases them. Should I wait and see if he actually causes damage to the cories or should I just isolate the betta/move the cories as a preventative? Thanks!

I might try giving the corys a little more hiding room. A small rock cave should work well. :wink:

yeh, they have a piece of driftwood to hide under and since it is a 5 gallon there isn't too much other room... hmm... maybe a larger tank.... :twisted:

rubysoho said:
yeh, they have a piece of driftwood to hide under and since it is a 5 gallon there isn't too much other room... hmm... maybe a larger tank.... :twisted:

question: are the cories active ?? or do they spend alot of time sleeping at the bottom of the tank

I used to keep cories with my betta, but it didn't work.
everytime my cories would take a rest at the bottom - my betta would swim up close and peck them.
then they would run.

I recommend keeping the betta alone in the 5 gallon.
or
remove the betta and keep 5 cories.

eh, all bettas are different. I think my guy has multiple personality disorder because sometimes he is just the sweetest guy and then other times he just pesters the cories. It wasn't until today that I actually caught him striking at them.

question: are the cories active ?? or do they spend alot of time sleeping at the bottom of the tank
they are definatly active but also have their "down time." The betta only seems to bother them only once in a while.

all i know is male betta is sensitif fish, he became more aggresive if you put someone else near him, and cories is pasif fish more love at the bottom, i think it's better if your separate betta at another tank unless you found your cories got damage :wink: :wink:

if i were you and if my betta was multiple personalty i will put him in a can and hardly shake it untill his mind get in the correct way :lol: :lol: (kiding)

wish u succes

IMHO, some aggression in a community tank is normal and healthy.
Aggression in my book only becomes a problem if the harrassment is constant, seems to be causing undue stress or injury. The occasional nipped fin or jousting over a prime hideout is normal.
You must observe and try to determine if there is a reason for the aggression, lack of defineable territory ect... Then take measures such as adding defineable territory e.g. caves, clusters of plants and such. (Try some floating cover for the Betta they love it.) Then if the problem continues you take action against the troublemaker, e.g. If we have a male/female Betta who goes psycho, we just feed'er to our Oscar, problem solved.

what color are the cories? remember that the darker the fish, the more aggressive the response from the betta.

Hara said:
what color are the cories? remember that the darker the fish, the more aggressive the response from the betta.
???HUH!???
Thats a new one on me and I've been keeping Bettas for quite awhile and researched'em pretty thoroughly I thought. I know male/female Bettas can be very aggressive, male vs male, female vs female, male vs female, towards other long finned fish or similar looking species.
Those and some are just plain psycho towards any other fish.
But I've never heard of Betta aggression related to color, particularly darker colors. Can you dig me up link, book or whatever pertaining to this propensity?

no, I sure can't. I have not done research on this topic other than to test my own fish with colors. I was told this by a man who has done extensive betta breeding.

I did, however, after I hear this bit of information, come home and "show" colors to my bettas. They responded much more aggressively to black.

no, I sure can't. I have not done research on this topic other than to test my own fish with colors. I was told this by a man who has done extensive betta breeding.

I did, however, after I hear this bit of information, come home and "show" colors to my bettas. They responded much more aggressively to black.

Hmmmm... Pondering... Very intriguing...
I know colors and patterns play strong roles in attracting mates, ones own species when schooling/shoaling(e.g. dark waters the flashing of a Neon tetras colors), offensive and defensive measures in matters of territory or eating/being eaten and ect...
This really makes me curious, gonna have to show some color cards to my bettas. When you tested yours did you use solid colored cards or was there any white edges ect? Did you put the card against the glass or hold it back? Test males, females or both?
Tell me how you tested and I'll reproduce like test and try some modifications.

Oh, now heres a thought, black presented against or near the glass would
give a strong reflection back to the fish, like a mirror. They may have thought they were seeing another Betta.

This could be fun and very insightful, I love fish :)

It has been awhile, If I remember correctly, I used my kids school construction paper. Solid colors. Both sexes were involved. Some together, another male by himself in a different tank.

Oh, now heres a thought, black presented against or near the glass would
give a strong reflection back to the fish, like a mirror. They may have thought they were seeing another Betta.

Sounds like a reasonable assumption. But this guy said that there is a particular fish, that is black, in the same habitat as wild bettas that really sets them off. I wish I could remember the name of the fish.

IMHO, some aggression in a community tank is normal and healthy.
Aggression in my book only becomes a problem if the harrassment is constant, seems to be causing undue stress or injury. The occasional nipped fin or jousting over a prime hideout is normal.

I agree with this. I was just wondering at what point would aggression be too much. What are the signs before it gets too bad? My cories have beautiful barbels and great fins that aren't ripped or torn. I just want to keep an eye out and gather what other warning signs I should be looking for.

This particular tank has a decent sized piece of driftwood with a little bit of space underneath that the cories inhabit. There is an anubias plant and tons of a fast growing floating plant. When the betta goes after a cory, that cory just scoots around to the other side of the driftwood and the betta forgets about it, hehe. Then occaisionally he'll flare at the cories but they just sit there and ignore him. I just decided I better watch out when I say the betta stike at a cory.

I agree with this. I was just wondering at what point would aggression be too much. What are the signs before it gets too bad? My cories have beautiful barbels and great fins that aren't ripped or torn. I just want to keep an eye out and gather what other warning signs I should be looking for.
Constant aggression or harrassment, undue stress or injury, lack of normal activity or feeding and waking in the morning to find a tore up dead fish :wink:[

Hara said:
Sounds like a reasonable assumption. But this guy said that there is a particular fish, that is black, in the same habitat as wild bettas that really sets them off. I wish I could remember the name of the fish.
Researching... Hmmm, they have alot of freakin fish over there...
this could take awhile.

Back
Top Bottom