How often should you really feed fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WoopAhhh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been reading online, and a lot of people say twice a day. I've even found a lot of people saying 3-5 times a day.
But then, I've also found people saying you should feed fish only once every other day. So what do you think is the proper way to feed fish and how often?

WoopAhhh said:
I've been reading online, and a lot of people say twice a day. I've even found a lot of people saying 3-5 times a day.
But then, I've also found people saying you should feed fish only once every other day. So what do you think is the proper way to feed fish and how often?

There's really no rule. It just depends. People feed 3-5 times a day but they are very small feedings. People who feed twice a day feed more food each time. I feed twice a day. When I wake up, and when I go to bed.

It all depends on the fish really. Some fish require more feedings than others. Most fish do fine with every other day feedings. You have to remember that fish are opportunistic feeders. In nature, they don't have food given to them at regular intervals.... and it's not put right in front of their face (usually). Sometimes, fish can go a week or more without eating in nature. That's why it's usually fine to go on vacation without worrying about the fish.

For me, I feed my fish once every 2-3 days. And, I don't feed much. Just a pellet or two per fish on average.

It all depends on the fish really. Some fish require more feedings than others. Most fish do fine with every other day feedings. You have to remember that fish are opportunistic feeders. In nature, they don't have food given to them at regular intervals.... and it's not put right in front of their face (usually). Sometimes, fish can go a week or more without eating in nature. That's why it's usually fine to go on vacation without worrying about the fish.

For me, I feed my fish once every 2-3 days. And, I don't feed much. Just a pellet or two per fish on average.

Exactly, that's what I think of when I feed them. So when I hear about people feeding their fish 5 times a day, I instantly feel bad for the fish and think they're being overfed.

Depends what fish and how much you feed i guess. my Bettas get fed 2 or 3 times a week. I feed my ghost knife and german blue rams once every second day but after i feed my ghost knife bloodworms he doesnt get fed for 2 days. i've gone away for 11 days before and didnt have anyone feed my fish, they just dont need to eat anywhere near as often as we think. I know it sounds like im starving my fish but i'm not, its takes a while to learn how much to feed a certain fish.

Just learn where the stomach is on your fish and use that as a rule. it just takes practise

Depends what fish and how much you feed i guess. my Bettas get fed 2 or 3 times a week. I feed my ghost knife and german blue rams once every second day but after i feed my ghost knife bloodworms he doesnt get fed for 2 days. i've gone away for 11 days before and didnt have anyone feed my fish, they just dont need to eat anywhere near as often as we think. I know it sounds like im starving my fish but i'm not, its takes a while to learn how much to feed a certain fish.

Just learn where the stomach is on your fish and use that as a rule. it just takes practise

I like your reply :)

wow!
i'm suprised at the number of people that don't feed their fish everyday.

There is nothing wrong with your feeding schedule - I just didn't expect it.

I wonder if the fish are healthier that way? that's something worth researching.

Many fish in nature do almost nothing but eat and avoid predation. The only few reasons they stop feeding are to avoid predation, mate, and sleep. Other than that, they are eating. Different fish in different niches have different natural feeding behaviors, which can change throughout their lives. Most small fish feed almost constantly, making many meals each day the most natural. Predatory fish are like this too when young. For example, small oscars (2" or less) should be fed 4-6 times per day. As they grow it should be reduced until they are only fed once or twice each week as full grown adults.

On the other hand almost all out fish come from farms where they are fed more like in our tanks, a couple times per day.

In the end I think no matter what we do it is unnatural and even detrimental to their health. In nature they get constant water changes, something only the most advanced facilities do. Compare this to our usual 25% weekly water change (at best for most tanks) and we are neglecting them. Twice a day we feed fish that in nature are constantly foraging for food all day long.

I am currently feeding my goldfish (which includes the danios and platies) 3-5 times per day.

I have been feeding my 4 male guppys once a day but, like you, have heard many feed 3 times a day. Should I be feeding them more? I also pop in an algae flake 5 or 6 times a week for 4 Pygmy cories and 5 rcs.

I have 3 south American cichlids. A firemouth, a convict, a turquoise jewel, and 2 tetra. I feed them twice a day. Once in the am and once in the evening. I go for the beef hearts for maximum growth and color.

As fish guy said it depends on your fish size. If you want your fish to grow fast when small maybe 4 times a day but as they get older they get feed less.

:agree:

I also feed every 2-3 days, but bounce between frozen foods soaked in Garlic Guard, flakes in Vita-Chem, wafers, bloodworms and pellets.

The only fish I've ever fed every day or multiple times a day are fry.

On a fairly new 75 gallon community tank, I feed in the morning and then 2 small algae flakes in the evening, right before lights out, for the bottom feeders (although many of the other non-bottom feeders enjoy them too) ..

I have 2 pregnant molly's and they eat EVERYTHING!!! I have tried varying my food levels but this doesnt help. They eat all the fish flakes then keep an eye out for the pellets I add, then bully everyone off the pellets and eat them as well. i have tried leaving the pellets in the dark but they are so switched on its unreal!

I feed mine once a day with a small pinch of flake or vary with bloodworms, etc, wafers and pellets for bottom feeders, my moss barbs would eat all day every day if they had the opportunity though! They always seem hungry, but I try never to over feed and keep all the fish looking heathy and not plump or overfed.

I feed them most days in the morning when I get up and turn their lights on (they've learned lights on means breakfast!), but if I'm running late they go hungry...

Occasionally if I notice alpha-guppy getting a lil podgy I'll put them on a crash diet and leave them for 3-4 days without food and they're absolutely fine..

I've left them for up to 6-7 days without food when I've been away and they've been absolutely fine when I get back...

I guess there's no hard and fast rule... Just get to know your fish and how much food keeps them looking happy and healthy... If they're getting fat it's too much, if they're getting skinny and starting to try eat each other it's probably too little...

I feed all my various types of aquatic pets once a day. If I'm lazy and feel like skipping a day once per week or so, I will, but will atleast feed the fry and the nano fish.

For me it's not about what they can survive on. I keep them all in glass boxes for my enjoyment so, I can't help but feel like the least I can do for them is provide the enjoyment of a daily meal. :)

I have 3 south American cichlids. A firemouth, a convict, a turquoise jewel, and 2 tetra. I feed them twice a day. Once in the am and once in the evening. I go for the beef hearts for maximum growth and color.
jewels are west african. just sayin.

i feed mine once a day,except for random fast days where i dont feed at all

I feed my Betta 3 times Monday Wednesday Friday, but I have SW fish that I feed 3-4 times a day, small amounts of food.

Back
Top Bottom