How often should you really feed fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yopu can feed them whenever they want food, just not over 5 times
you can feed them more than 5 times,just not much per feeding. but this is hard with more aggressive fish that would inhale all the food before the others got it

I feed really sparingly. IMO best to underfeed than overfeed. Only two or three times a week, I mean in the wild food isn't just landed on a silver platter to them. Thy have to search for it right? Figured it would be good to try to simulate their natural behaviors :)

siva said:
For me it's not about what they can survive on. I keep them all in glass boxes for my enjoyment so, I can't help but feel like the least I can do for them is provide the enjoyment of a daily meal. :)

I completely agree. I enjoy my meals and I don't believe my fish should go without eating because I'm to lazy to maintain water quality. I try to feed in the morning and night with algea wafers n veggies 3 days a week for Pleco n ottos.

They naturally feed many times per day, more accurately constantly. Feeding sparingly a few times per week is not natural for them.

They naturally feed many times per day, more accurately constantly. Feeding sparingly a few times per week is not natural for them.
That's my take on it as well. I just have a hard time believing that most fish in most environments, that have all day every day to look for food, don't find some every day.

I am no expert on how much or how often, but I do have guppies that will eat as much as I let them. They are aggressive about their food and leave little for the tetras loaches and shrimp. I have found that if I drop the flakes right into water current from my AC 50, the current quickly distributes the flakes every where in the tank, giving all my fish a fair chance at first dibs.

Most of my fish I feed once a day but my Tiger Oscar I feed twice a day I just can't resist his sad bulging eyes looking up towards the surface and looking at me wanting to be fed! But sometimes rarely I will feed him once a day. He usually let's me know when he's hungry which is morning and before bed. :) plus I'm afraid if I don't feed him when he's hungry he might eat his tankmates !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom