How should I ship my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Owp

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am selling my neon tetras and I have read how to package them. So I need a cardboard box, a heat pack and I’m wondering can I just put poly filter pads in the box and can I use regular freezer bags to put the fish in?

You need to use regular storage bags theat you buy with twist ties...only don't use the ties, esu rubber bands. You'll have to only put a couple of fish per bag making sure each bag has half water and half air when sealed.. Pack them tightly together with polyfoam or fiber all around the edges to make sure the bags don't slide around. I hop you've looked at priority overnight shipping costs. It's not cheap to ship live fish.
I am selling my neon tetras and I have read how to package them. So I need a cardboard box, a heat pack and I’m wondering can I just put poly filter pads in the box and can I use regular freezer bags to put the fish in?

Ok why do you need to use elastic bands can you not just tie them? And, will 4 neon tetras fit in a bag in one box? I have seen that it is expensive to send. Thanks for the reply

You need to use regular storage bags theat you buy with twist ties...only don't use the ties, esu rubber bands. You'll have to only put a couple of fish per bag making sure each bag has half water and half air when sealed.. Pack them tightly together with polyfoam or fiber all around the edges to make sure the bags don't slide around. I hop you've looked at priority overnight shipping costs. It's not cheap to ship live fish.

Ok why do you need to use elastic bands can you not just tie them? And, will 4 neon tetras fit in a bag in one box? I have seen that it is expensive to send. Thanks for the reply

Four per bag is fine. I recommend the rubber bands because twist ties will loosen.

Also I read online that you should package your fish in fresh clean water but shouldn’t you package them in their own water because of the B.B.

Also I read online that you should package your fish in fresh clean water but shouldn’t you package them in their own water because of the B.B.
The amount of BB that are free floating in the water won't make much difference. Oxygen and ammonia are the reason they have to be shipped so quickly anyway.

Back
Top Bottom