How to put new fish in the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarasein

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am wanting to make sure I am doing this right. Right now, they are floating in the tank with out the light. I was going to leave them till after dinner. Then what do I do? I was reading about a drip method? How do I do that?

Sarasein said:
I am wanting to make sure I am doing this right. Right now, they are floating in the tank with out the light. I was going to leave them till after dinner. Then what do I do? I was reading about a drip method? How do I do that?

I usually float the bag for an hour or so. Open the bag and add a small amount of tank water and repeat several times every twenty or so minutes. Then net them out and put in the tank. You add a small amount of tank water several times so they adjust more slowly to the different water chemistry.

Drip method is when you literally have something like an airline tube (normally used with the bubblers) and you siphon from your tank into a bucket, so that the fish gradually is swimming around in your tank water.

I don't leave the fish floating. I actually don't use the drip method per-se, but my own variation on it. I get the fish home, I empty the water and fish from the bag into a bucket. I then get a cup I use for fish water only (which I never wash) and scoop from the tank into the bucket (fish aren't very afraid of water being poured on them usually). Then 30secs later I scoop more into the bucket, I repeat this until the bucket is full. The bucket is eventually mostly tank water. I then scoop out the fish with a net and put it straight into the tank.

Never had any signs of stress and obviously by the time the bucket is full the temp, pH, etc int he bucket matches my tank closely enough that I wouldn't really expect there to be.

I throw away the water in the bucket.

Never done drip but what I do is after floating for 20 min I then add a half cup of tank water wait 15 min then another half cup tank water and 15 min do one more half cup wait 15 min then net fish out of bag and add to tank don't dump bag

I usually float the bag for an hour or so. Open the bag and add a small amount of tank water and repeat several times every twenty or so minutes. Then net them out and put in the tank. You add a small amount of tank water several times so they adjust more slowly to the different water chemistry.
X2 that is what I do too.

I honestly think leaving the bag to try to match temp is often a dangerous game. I'd rather the fish get some oxygen (ie: get that bag open). Again, have never had a fish not cope with water changes and that can often change the tank temperature. I think if you are going to lose a fish because you didnt float it, you maybe were going to lose it anyway (healthy fish are hard to kill). The slow drip method should be something you can start immediately without floating. River and lake temps change a lot when it rains, remember... Infact if you want Cory cats to spawn, guess what you do? :)

Last edited:
I usually put the fish in a container, add a cup of tank water every few minutes, then net them out and drop them in.

Floating the bag to match temp works fine, I don't think it's dangerous at all, considering that many fish spend days in bags while traveling through the mail.

Tim Wheatley said:
I honestly think leaving the bag to try to match temp is often a dangerous game. I'd rather the fish get some oxygen (ie: get that bag open). Again, have never had a fish not cope with water changes and that can often change the tank temperature. I think if you are going to lose a fish because you didnt float it, you maybe were going to lose it anyway. The slow drip method should be something you can start immediately without floating. River and lake temps change a lot when it rains, remember... Infact if you want Cory cats to spawn, guess what you do? :)

I don't consider oxygen or lack there of to be an issue for this amount of time when oxygen is present in the bag when the lfs ties it up for transport. All the shaking in the bag along the way should be plenty enough agitation to keep the water oxygenated for a couple hours. That's just my theory anyway and not based on anything other than my experience so I am not discounting your opinion in anyway. :)

Mrduna01 said:
I don't consider oxygen or lack there of to be an issue for this amount of time when oxygen is present in the bag when the lfs ties it up for transport. All the shaking in the bag along the way should be plenty enough agitation to keep the water oxygenated for a couple hours. That's just my theory anyway and not based on anything other than my experience so I am not discounting your opinion in anyway. :)

Oxygen isn't an issue if u ever get fish in the mail they go 2-3 days in the same bag of water with the same air

The water agitation can only use oxygen which is inside the bag. If it wasn't filled with pure oxygen or there is more water than air, that air can run out a lot quicker than you think.

Tim Wheatley said:
The water agitation can only use oxygen which is inside the bag. If it wasn't filled with pure oxygen or there is more water than air, that air can run out a lot quicker than you think.

This is true but I don't think IMHO that it would run out or cause any problems at all in the time frame were speaking of. I suppose though being concerned about this is only a positive as anything that can be done to relieve or minimize the stress on the fish is a plus... I myself just don't see it as any concern.

I've shipped/received (priority 2-3day) with both medical grade o2 and just regular air and in priority shipments the difference seems negligible. Nearly all of my shipments this year have been bagged using a straight up air pump line. Just wanted to give my 2cents.

I've shipped/received (priority 2-3day) with both medical grade o2 and just regular air and in priority shipments the difference seems negligible. Nearly all of my shipments this year have been bagged using a straight up air pump line. Just wanted to give my 2cents.

That's cool to hear. Out of interest what % of water is in the bag compared to air? My wife and I moved house and I had literally 20% water to 80% air in the buckets. All the fish made it. But then I've taken fish (with no lid) in a bucket to the LFS and seen then struggling after the owner let them sit while dealing with other customers (no agitation for a long time). I think heat can also play a part, as can salt for brackish fish, I think both salt and heat reduce oxygen from what I've seen.

That's cool to hear. Out of interest what % of water is in the bag compared to air? My wife and I moved house and I had literally 20% water to 80% air in the buckets. All the fish made it. But then I've taken fish (with no lid) in a bucket to the LFS and seen then struggling after the owner let them sit while dealing with other customers (no agitation for a long time). I think heat can also play a part, as can salt for brackish fish, I think both salt and heat reduce oxygen from what I've seen.
Usually 25% / 75% is a good ratio, but as far as shipping goes, with it getting so hot (or if it's really cold), I like to use more water to help keep the temp stable.

If the fish are remotely large, like jack dempsey size, then you might need supplemental o2 or some special setup, but with smaller fish it's not an issue.

Yeah heat is definitely an issue, hot temps have less dissolved o2, so it becomes a big problem if there isn't a good bit of surface agitation/available o2 if bagged.

The other thing with keeping them in a bucket is if they are just sitting still then there's no turnover to replenish the o2 in the water.

When I moved my tank I just bagged all my fish just like they do at the lfs then I take the filter media and put it in a bag with tank water and some fish flakes that way when I set back up I instantly cycled(actually went through a little 3 day mini cycle) better option when moving

The other thing with keeping them in a bucket is if they are just sitting still then there's no turnover to replenish the o2 in the water.

Yeah it freaks me out pretty quickly. I trade a lot of fish in and it's a busy shop, the fish sitting there worries me...

My "method":
1. place unopened bag to float in tank
2. Float for about 10 minutes to equalize temp
3. Poke a couple of small holes in bad below water line (don't squeeze!)
4. Let sit another 10 -15 minutes.
5. Release fish.

Batt4Christ said:
My "method":
1. place unopened bag to float in tank
2. Float for about 10 minutes to equalize temp
3. Poke a couple of small holes in bad below water line (don't squeeze!)
4. Let sit another 10 -15 minutes.
5. Release fish.

I see what your doing here but I would not go this route as sometimes the fish store water is better left out of the tank as it often contains diseases and such.

Tim Wheatley said:
I honestly think leaving the bag to try to match temp is often a dangerous game. I'd rather the fish get some oxygen (ie: get that bag open). Again, have never had a fish not cope with water changes and that can often change the tank temperature. I think if you are going to lose a fish because you didnt float it, you maybe were going to lose it anyway (healthy fish are hard to kill). The slow drip method should be something you can start immediately without floating. River and lake temps change a lot when it rains, remember... Infact if you want Cory cats to spawn, guess what you do? :)

Most fish stores put their fish in bags with 100% oxygen. There is no need to open the bag just to give them oxygen. My lfs bows the empty part of the bag up like a balloon when I get fish there. I would open the bag for giving he fish more space or many other reasons.

Back
Top Bottom