How to sterilize tank equipment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am breaking down a small tank because I think there may be some nasty bacteria lurking in it. I want to completely sterilize it. What can I use? Should I just toss the gravel?

I have a small filter -- i'm assuming I toss the filter media. (it's just one of those dinky filters for a 2-5 gallon tank so i can easily seed it again etc) and I have a few heaters, thermometers, nets, the 2.5 g acrylic tank.

My newest male betta just died -- the only symptoms were first lethargy and hiding, then clamped fins, then gasping and then death... all in about 48 hours. No fuzzy stuff, no bumps or lesions. Water quality was good. He was in a community tank and i removed him and put him in the little tank for QT but it was too late apparently. No fish in the original tank are showing any signs of anything at all. My only guess is that something like columnaris got introduced to the tank but has only struck fish with a weak immune system. I'm mystified by what it is but whatever it was, i want it gone!

so -- i want to sterilize everything i have whether it came into contact with that fish or not, just in case. I have purchased extra vacuums and nets so that I don't have to cross-contaminate in the future... but i am starting to use a python for water changes. how do i sterilize that?

my building has super scalding hot water so i've been flushing the python with that after each use. but is there something else I can do?

JMO, but i would toss the gravel & filter media. Put the tank (and anything else) in the bathtub, scrub & fill it with a 10% bleach solution (1 part bleach to 9 parts water). Let it soak for atleast 15mins. Rinse well with hot water. Refill with dechlorinated water & let soak atleast another 15mins. Empty & let air dry. Im so sorry about your fish :(

Thanks for the advice! I'm practically boiling everything as we speak. At least I know that this tank will be clean! I'm sad about my betta - he was beautiful. and I really can't figure out what hit him. The community tank that he was in when he started showing signs of illness is doing fine. All the fish are healthy, the water parameters look good. 0 ammo, 0 trites, 10-20 trAtes. Are betta's particularly sensitive to nitrates?

I do not know if they are particularly sensitive to nitrates but a guess is no more so than most fish & 10-20 nitrates is in the ideal range. I am honestly not sure what happened. Good luck cleaning!

Back
Top Bottom