How to Transport Fish? (Not Shipping)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need to know how to transport a two inch male lyretail Molly to a place around an hour at most away.I'll be doing this in a car, not shipping.I'm transferring it from my ten to a twenty five high.One last question- will it be compatible in the new tank in question, with tankmates being-
2- dwarf gourami
3- platy
1 or 2- swordtail
1- dwarf pleco
All livebearers and gouramis are males. I think the pleco is also
The tank has several separate decorations that mark territory for the fish- all the livebearers share one decoration and the pleco and gouramis share two others. Thanks

I would put it in a bag with 50/50 water/oxygen, put a bit of prime in there, actually double bagging wouldn't hurt. As far as being compatible with the other fish I don't own any of those so i dunno.

Sake said:
I would put it in a bag with 50/50 water/oxygen, put a bit of prime in there, actually double bagging wouldn't hurt. As far as being compatible with the other fish I don't own any of those so i dunno.

Problem one- no shipping bags, i have ziplocs and 2 liter bowls with lids
Problem two- I'm doing this tomorrow and have no prime and no time to get some, anyway I don't think petsmart sells prime

Problem one- no shipping bags, i have ziplocs and 2 liter bowls with lids
Problem two- I'm doing this tomorrow and have no prime and no time to get some, anyway I don't think petsmart sells prime

Solution 1 petsmart will more than likely give you a few bags, probably for free if you explain why.

Solution 2 petsmart and petco both sell prime.

Sake said:
Solution 1 petsmart will more than likely give you a few bags, probably for free if you explain why.

Solution 2 petsmart and petco both sell prime.

Alright, thanks
I'll see if I can get there tonight

If you really can't get your hands on a bag and a rubber band, you can use a washed out cooler. If you have a small ( 5-10) gallon cooler fill it 50% with water and the other 50% with nothing. Add some fake or real plants for them to hide in and if you have a battery charged bubbler use that for air exchange. The cooler is my favorite way because it keeps fish in the dark, which in turn keeps them calmer. You can also. Put the fish on the ziplock bags with 50/50 water air and put those in a cooler or wrap them in a towel.

I advise against ziplock bags, they split open with all that water inside. Bad idea.

Omg people it's a molly. 5 gal cooler ? Yer crazy. Just stick it in a butter dish. I've left two floating in my tank for almost 12 hours. Yeah I know thats not the best thing to do but when you forget em before work there isnt much you can do. You guys make almost everything sound way harder then it should be.

Fill a bucket 1/3 of the way with tank water, transfer fish and cover top of bucket with lid or cling wrap of avoid splashes. Either that or a bag. You don't need prime, bubblers, extra oxygen or whatever. It's only one hour away. Really not that long.

Mumma.of.two said:
Fill a bucket 1/3 of the way with tank water, transfer fish and cover top of bucket with lid or cling wrap of avoid splashes. Either that or a bag. You don't need prime, bubblers, extra oxygen or whatever. It's only one hour away. Really not that long.

Thanks mumma! I was getting worried about all the stuff I'd need!

Ziploc ok for a single small fish, just put 4 - 6 oz water in there so its less likely to burst and tape it shut if you go that route. I prefer using fish bags or a small trash bag if out. Heck a 32 oz cup with lid from the gas station is more than enough.

Last edited:
Okay I'm putting the fish in a bowl with 3x dose of prime and a plant bit
Will this work?
I'll wrap the bowl in black paper and cover it with plastic wrap

Back
Top Bottom