I am SO frustrated trying to introduce a new fish !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polar_Bus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,
I have tried to introduce 3 new fish to my 90 gal over the past 3 months. My new fish will be absolutely beat to almost neat death by the next morning after introduction. Frayed fins, and lots of scale abrasions (from bites?). I have gone through two 6" arrowanas, and now an Oscar. I have a 9" Tiger shovelnose cat, a 6" Frontosa, a 7" Pacu, and a 3" Gorumai. Any idea who the nasty tank bully is? I never actually see any bullying, as it always happens during the night. Thanks,
Rich

:S Could be any of those! :( My guess is the frontosa...but really you ought not to be keeping him in a tank with a pacu or a gourami: the three fish have totally different needs...

A 90G is also too small for these fish...you would need a pond-sized tank in the long run :O

Here's some articles I think you will find useful:

Frontosas:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c_frontosa.php
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=9
- and specifically http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1500

Maximum Size: 15"
Temperature: 75 - 77°F
pH: 8.6
Water Hardness: Very Hard

Pacu:
Which type do you have?

Black/Common: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile86.html
Black/Common: http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/pacu-blk.htm

This fish is really only suitable for public aquaria, many of which are already well stocked with pacu which have outgrown their homes, and may be reluctant to accept more. It is therefore not a good idea to purchase this fish unless you can provide a 1000 gallons plus aquarium for the adult(s).

Red Bellied: http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/pacu-red.htm

A very large tank, of more than 300 gallons.
Acidic to neutral pH (5.5-7.0), but not critical

This species is quite commonly found for sale as small juveniles, but can only be accommodated long-term in the largest of home aquaria.

Arowana
Again, which type do you own?

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/arow-sil.htm
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_arrow2.php

A very large tank (suggest 200 gallons/900 litres plus for an adult) with lots of open swimming space. A few branches or pieces of bogwood can be used for decor.

Soft and acidic (pH 6.0-6.9

Polar_Bus said:
Hello all,
I have tried to introduce 3 new fish to my 90 gal over the past 3 months. My new fish will be absolutely beat to almost neat death by the next morning after introduction. Frayed fins, and lots of scale abrasions (from bites?). I have gone through two 6" arrowanas, and now an Oscar. I have a 9" Tiger shovelnose cat, a 6" Frontosa, a 7" Pacu, and a 3" Gorumai. Any idea who the nasty tank bully is? I never actually see any bullying, as it always happens during the night. Thanks,
Rich

I'm going to be honest...thats what one of the worst mixes i've ever heard of. First of all a 90 isnt big enough for the pacu (25"+) or shovelnose (40"+). Not to mention an arrowana. The frontosa is an african rift lake fish that does best in groups.

I suggest you get rid of the cat and pacu and start over.

hamburgler said:
Polar_Bus said:
Hello all,
Rich

I'm going to be honest...thats what one of the worst mixes i've ever heard of. First of all a 90 isnt big enough for the pacu (25"+) or shovelnose (40"+). Not to mention an arrowana. The frontosa is an african rift lake fish that does best in groups.

I suggest you get rid of the cat and pacu and start over.

Can you detail exactly what you mean as far as "the worst mixes". These 4 fish currently get along perfect with only light playfull chasing. As far as size, they are small, and I will remove fish as needed when they grow too large.

They are each, individually, considered a 'tankbuster' fish. That is, you need an extremely large aquarium to accommodate just one of them in the long term. A 90G just wont suffice for maintaining adequate water conditions and a healthy environment for each individual fish, let alone a combination.
I think that is what hamburgler is trying to say, and I am trying to provide information to help you research your pet fish.
If you have your house all planned out for a 1000G tank/pond, then I am sure you will be able to provide a good home for them. But if you don't have the inclination or ability to offer that sized environment, then you are risking the health of your fish (more bluntly, they won't survive -> they won't even be able to move).

They also, as I pointed out, require different water conditions: different pH levels and so on. Your frontosa, for a start, is an African Rift Lake Cichlid which requires hard water and an alkaline pH, as hamburgler and I have also explained to you.

What you do with your fish is up to you, but it's really a responsible and recommended thing to do some research before making a purchase, because it will help both you and your new pets down the line.

Where you go from here is, as I say, up to you, but personally I tend to agree with hamburgler: I would consider taking back all of the fish, and rethinking appropriate stock for your 90G.

They may get a long just fine....as they are small. But they are going to outgrow that tank steadily. Pick one region of fish that you like and go from there....i know myself as well as majority of the other experienced fishkeepers out there prefer to keep fish relative to their biological location. Once the cat and pacu outgrow your tank, which is coming down the road...do more research. Keep the front and make a Tanganyika tank, and watch and observe natural behavior. Or go south american with an oscar, jag, gt etc.

No offense meant, but you might want to think about reconsidering your take on your fish. They might be fine now, but you will take them back later isn't how you would look at a cat or dog is it?

It is our responsibility to these pets to provide for them from purchase to death, not decoration. I am a firm believer in researching pets before you get them to provide the best life possible for them without interferring on my own limitations. When you bring an animal home as a pet, you make an unspoken commitment to its wellbeing for life, not for as long as they are convenient.

I'd say take them back so someone who can provide for them has the opportunity and research your future selections =).

FWIW, the frontosas alone would be fine in a 90 gal, or the gouramis or the oscar, but not all of the above. the catfish and most definately the arrowana will not be ok.

If anything, ditch the Pacu. If anything more, get rid of the Frontosa. I'd say all your new fish are dying because of not one culprit, but all of them.

I've a slightly discenting opinion. Here's what I think......

These fish are already in the care of someone that wants them. It's highly unlikely that the shovel nose and pacu will find adaquate housing and will probably be worse off. I would return the frontosa and the gourami. Frontosas are prized fish and you can probably get something of value for it.

With proper care Polar Bus, you can keep the shovel nose and pacu happy and healthy for quite some time. I certainly wouldn't add more fish. The shovel nose is highly predatory. At nine inches he's a force that most fish can't defense. If I had to guess I'd say he was killing your "new" additions at night.

Back
Top Bottom