I Need Some Advice/Help/Input!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanatic88

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Guys,
Ok so i have been haveing some conflicting info/help. My dad has had aquariums for over 30 years and i learned most of everything i know from him (the rest i know from the internet, and you all of course! :)). He taught me that when setting up a tank you only need to let it run with a filter for 24hrs based on gallonage (10 gals=24hrs, 20 gals=48hrs, 30=72hrs etc...) when i joined here of course i learned about cycling. He also taught me to get at least double the reccomended advertised gallonage of a filter (topfin 60 instead of topfin 30 for a 30 gallon) and then he obviously taught me the basics; heater, filter, airstone, hiding places etc.... But my maim problem lies in PWC, he says that they are unnecesary and he told me to just clean the gravel and drain about 30-40% of the water (of course i recently learned of Prime, from you guys of course! :)) In his 75 gal the nitAtes always read super high but all of his fish are fine, he even keeps sometimes finicky fish such as angels, clown loaches and GBR. My tank always reads high nitrAtes also but again my fish are perfectly fine and i have angels and loaches too. I have breifly read that nitrAtes only cause algae to grow wouldnt that be good for my pleco?, but people say you have to do PWC to get rid of the nitrAtes because they harm the fish. I am not a noob, but i am alittle confused. As the title states, I Need Help/Advice/Input.

Thanks in advance! :)

How high is "super high?" If nitrates are over 40 ppm it can be harmful to your fish. How often does your dad say to do a pwc? You should at least do a 30% water change every week with a thorough substrate cleaning.

bud29 said:
How high is "super high?" If nitrates are over 40 ppm it can be harmful to your fish. How often does your dad say to do a pwc? You should at least do a 30% water change every week with a thorough substrate cleaning.

I will test the water tomorrow, but usually the highest mark on the test strips. In regards to pwc he says once a month with thorough gravel cleaning, my ammonia never reads anything other than 0-safe and samething with NitrItes and my gravel does not get all that dirty in a month either, i am able to clean it all with only draining 40%.

I just want to make sure i am doing things right and my fish seem to be doing great but if i can make it any better for them then i want to.

My only problem/concern is nitrAtes, and i am curious in peoples thoughts as to how it is possible that my dad never cycled a tank in 30 years and he is able to keep so finicky fish without pwc.

Well, even though it may not appear that your gravel gets that dirty, it is important to clean it regularly.

If the nitrates are as high as the highest one on the test strips, that is very high. You shouldn't let it get that high. That is harmful to the fish. Over 40 ppm nitrates and you need to do a pwc. Do you have live plants? If you have plant-friendly fish, I would recommend heavily planting your tank. Plants consume nitrates and in your case some lower nitrates would be great.

Also, I recommend getting the API freshwater master test kit. They are much more accurate than strips.

bud29 said:
Well, even though it may not appear that your gravel gets that dirty, it is important to clean it regularly.

If the nitrates are as high as the highest one on the test strips, that is very high. You shouldn't let it get that high. That is harmful to the fish. Over 40 ppm nitrates and you need to do a pwc. Do you have live plants? If you have plant-friendly fish, I would recommend heavily planting your tank. Plants consume nitrates and in your case some lower nitrates would be great.

Also, I recommend getting the API freshwater master test kit. They are much more accurate than strips.

What i do not understand is why is it harmful if it causes algae to grow, and i have a very active pleco that is constanly on the glass?

I cannot aford to heavily plant it right now (car payments) but i do have some crypts, wysteria, a small anubias, some java moss, a plant with thin blade looking leaves, and some other mystery plants.

Every frickin time i drive to an LFS i always forget to inquire about an API master test kit.

Well, the problem is that nitrate is not just something that grows algae. It is a waste by-product so a big buildup will be harmful.

What size tank do you have? What stock?

Also, as for the API kit, I recommend getting it off of amazon. Even with shipping and tax and everything it ends up being about $7 cheaper than at a store.

29 Gallon:
10 Zebra Danios
5 Black Skirt Tetras
4 Polka Dot Loaches
2 Angels (growing out until they get alittle bit bigger)
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Powder Blue Gourami (being rehomed tomorrow)

I am trying to buy a 55 gallon but i have other bills to pay first.

bud29 said:
Yeah, I would say the angels and gourami need to go. Overstocking may be a small part of your nitrates build up, what I suspected.

No they are still tiny. so it is not overstocked atm but i have no intentions of keeping them long term cause i dont wanna be overstocked/stunt them. The gourami is also small but to be honest i dont like it too much, idk why i bought it but he is being rehomed tomorrow. do you think i am fine with the four loaches? i went into petsmart to buy a BNP and walked out with a another polka dot loach to add to the group. the lady said it would be alright but they tend to be dumber than a log so idk. they grow really slow so chances are they would be alright until i can upgrade but i want ur opinion them anyways.

I appreciate all of your help! :) Thanks!!

Sorry for the late reply......I went to bed:whistle:

I actually think that is a better buy than a pleco. The bioload of a loach is smaller than the one of a pleco. But I would say no more fish now.

bud29 said:
Sorry for the late reply......I went to bed:whistle:

I actually think that is a better buy than a pleco. The bioload of a loach is smaller than the one of a pleco. But I would say no more fish now.

Ok thanks that is what i figured.

I really appreciate all the help you have given me!

when i rehome the gourami and angels what do you think should take their places? I was thinking a GBR pair, but what do you think?

bud29 said:
I recommend Bolivian Rams. Very colorful but not as aggressive as the GBRs.

My dad has a pair of both, the bolivians are definately more peaceful but the GBR necer harm anyone, the male just flares at everything (he is the smallest fish in the tank).

Do you know anything about apistogrammas? I saw them at my local petsmart and the display pic looked cool but they didnt have any left, it said they only get 2 inches but the lady didnt know anything about them.

Well, I don't know much about apistos either except that they are semi-aggressive. They get to be the same size as the GBR's and bolivian rams.

Ok so i test my water and it read about 50 on the trAtes. everything else was fine. It has been 7 days since my last pwc, so should i aim for a weekly 40% pwc?

I think 40% will be fine. 50 ppm is not as bad as I thought it would be when you said highest on the color chart. The highest nitrate reading on the color chart on the API kit is 160 ppm!:eek:

bud29 said:
I think 40% will be fine. 50 ppm is not as bad as I thought it would be when you said highest on the color chart. The highest nitrate reading on the color chart on the API kit is 160 ppm!:eek:

The highest mine can possibly read is 200 but i guess i really never noted exactly how high it was because i didnt think it was important.

I just did roughly a 30% pwc, i thought it was 40% but i did the math and it came out to be only about 30%.

My trAte reading are now 20-40 being on the closer side to 20.

I also just rehomed my gourami so now the bioload wont be as bad.

Thank you so much for all of your help, i really apreciate it! :)

Back
Top Bottom