I saw a zebra at the LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very nice fish! I don't think it's a 46, but I don't think you got ripped either. That is a very cool pleco. Don't worry about EVER seeing it at a biggie mart. :)

i'm sure the plastic bag doesn't help with the pic taking. ;)
he (or she) looks gorgeous though. congrats!! glad you went for it!!!

Yes that is gorgeous. Whether or not it is L46, you are in possession of a beautiful and unique fish that any hobbyist would love.

I wish my girlfriend would teach me those kind of lessons.

Edit: I don't think it's L46, if you notice here: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?species=hypancistrus+zebra&image_id=461

It looks like the stripes run length-wise on the fish. Which, yours don't appear to.

Maybe looks like L49: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?species=peckoltia+sp(l049)&image_id=1625

I checked the whole L-list and L49 looked closest to me.

Nope, not the super zebra pleco worth a ton, BUT you did not get ripped off. These are 1 of those plecos you never see. Good pick up, i cant do the research now but i have a guy i have talked to several times and he is a expert in my eyes on plecos and i bet he could ID it in 2 seconds. But you will have to wait tell tonight so i can do the research.

Then wait I shall, your AWSOME!, thanks....but you'd better lie to me if its bad news...lol

I'll try to get a better pic if he ever gets outta the ugliest corner in my tank lol.

IM000725.jpg

This is as good as it's gonna get for now this little critter is truly camera shy and I'm getting dizzy trying to keep up with him.:scatter:

I'm not sure if you can tell or if it matters but his color is definitely black and white not brown and yellow.

Yeah Taylor I'm inclined to agree with you, I guess the difference between the L46 and the L49 is a true testament to the slimming effect of vertical strips..lol.

After reading I'm not so sure, the description of L49 says brown and sandy yellow.

Who knows, it's awesome either way :D

Its not a zebra but i think i am gonna guess at L169, also known as LDA01.

Do the under marking look like this?
displayimage.php

I would need some really good pics for a positive ID but we definitly narrowed it down.

Well hmm no I don't think his belly has any markings but the little bugger will only stick to the back glass and right now he is hunkered down in a little rock cave. Really good pics...lol you don't ask for much do ya..lol I'll try.

I wouldnt worry about it. The thing is we know it is not a commonly seen species so you dont have to worry that you got ripped off. We know it is not a zebra, and we know that any species like that does not grow over a foot long. So you should be ok. And yes i am demanding, lol.

I wouldnt worry about it. The thing is we know it is not a commonly seen species so you dont have to worry that you got ripped off. We know it is not a zebra, and we know that any species like that does not grow over a foot long. So you should be ok. And yes i am demanding, lol.

But what is it's preferred diet? :p

lol, great, poke a hole in my theory and now i am gonna have to do more research so i can make sure it isnt a carnivorous species of pleco.

EDIT: i did some research and i found out that all our guesses are herbivores plecos. Also a note i wanted to mention. Plecos like muntching on driftwood so if you have none in your tank then i would get some for the pleco to suck on.

very pretty fish congrats..

i saw a guy(friend of a friend) who had a really heavly planted tank. pure jungle. well i was watchign the red cherry shrimp swim aroun when out pops a little black and white zebra. was a wow moment.

I've got a pretty good idea how to get you some good pics but you may have to wait a few days, I have hospital duty this week.

Really hows that being demanding thing working for ya?...lol

Not so good, people keep telling me i am too demanding. lol. But i am telling you i think we got it. It has to be 1 of the ones we guessed. Which do YOU think it is though.

The lines on the L333 look too thin a squiggly, he looks a lot like the L049 right now that's the way I am leaning but to be honest I have seen so many pictures of stripped and spotted plecos they all kinda look the same....I had no idea there were so many it's really quite awesome. I wonder if his color will change any as he gets bigger.

As far as diet I feed my fish a little bit of everything so unless he requires prime rib I think I got it covered, that is except drift wood I had a piece a few years ago for my other pleco but he never touched it and I didn't much like the looks of it so I yanked it out guess I'd better start hunting another piece

Back
Top Bottom