ID my pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone? Was purchased as a common pleco. It's grown from 4 to 6" in ~6 months.

pleco.jpg

Thanks,
David

Hmm. It's kind of dark but it looks like it might be a sailfin (gibbiceps). Any chance of getting a light pic with his dorsal fin flared?

k, there's a different pic with slightly better lighting. He's very camera shy, so i have to be pretty far off the tank to catch him.

His dorsal fin gets pretty high when it flares, not as high as a sailfin though.

Just browsing through google images, the closest match i see is a 'stardust pleco'

"Common" is over used, but basically is anything that gets BIG and they may or may not have a "sailfin." Enjoy him, he's got great markings!

I'm gonna change my mind with the better pic and say it does look like a common pleco (perhaps a hypostomus punctatus). So, you looking at around 12" as opposed to 18" of a gibbiceps. :D

I don't know all the types of plecos so I won't give any opinion on what he is, but what I wanted to say is that your pleco looks really nice :D

aww, thanks guys. yea, he's certainly the best $3 i ever spent on a fish. from Pet Supermarket nonetheless.

I plan on using him and my 5 loaches in that 55g as a reason to eventually get a bigger tank :).

what kind of plant is he on top of? that grassy thing

No clue. It was listed as "misc" at Petsmart. It's been in there for ~5 months now with no growth. Has a very small root system. Honestly, i'm suprised it's alive at all. I think it might be some dwarf species in the Echinodorus genus.

Back
Top Bottom