ID this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brentweld

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm not sure exactly what this guy is?

Attachments

• image-959726353.jpg
    image-959726353.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 129
  • image-2383718340.jpg
    image-2383718340.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 123
  • image-3124671129.jpg
    image-3124671129.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 122
  • image-2202705288.jpg
    image-2202705288.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 118
The tetra has red when I looked on google for that fish there were pictures of what I had but its not the right fish. I believe it's a hummingbird or butterfly something. I can't remember the exact name

Sorry to be the grammar nazi but can we start using periods in our words please? I skipped over this thread thinking it said I'D, this fish not I.D. This fish. I would've said it was a darter tetra too but betta owner beat me to it. So now that we've had our grammar lesson and fish I.D. you should go do some research on the little guy. I'd give you some pointers but I've never really taken an interest in the guys so I've never had a real reason to. I see em all the time in my LFS and they don't sell good whatsoever says the owner but idk if that's the case where you are.So good luck with the little guy

why would it say I'd this fish?.. I agree though, darter as opposed to sae

Exactly! That's what was weird to me about it! I had no clue someone would say I'd this fish, that's why it was so strange until I read it

How big is it? Has markings similar to a SAE

It looks a lot like a flying fox except that the flying fox has a thicker darker stripe without the vertical banding. I am in agreement that it's the darter tetra.

Sorry to be the grammar nazi but can we start using periods in our words please? I skipped over this thread thinking it said I'D, this fish not I.D. This fish. I would've said it was a darter tetra too but betta owner beat me to it. So now that we've had our grammar lesson and fish I.D. you should go do some research on the little guy. I'd give you some pointers but I've never really taken an interest in the guys so I've never had a real reason to. I see em all the time in my LFS and they don't sell good whatsoever says the owner but idk if that's the case where you are.So good luck with the little guy

The grammar nazi usually needs to follow his own advice. In any case that's really uncalled for.

I'm on the app so I'm looking at a small pic could it be an otocinclus? I may be waay off though.

Edit: nevermind I opened it in my browser and zoomed in on the first pic its not an oto.

Sorry to be a nazi against grammar nazis but ID is an abbreviation of one word, so the only period would be after the D (ID.) if at all. Unlike the abbreviation of Medicinae Doctor which is two words, M.D. Don't jump on someone else because You misunderstood the English language.
OP how long has the fish been in the tank? The solid horizontal bar looks like an S.A.E. but the other posters are right they don't have vertical bars. Many fish show vertical stress bars so if he was recently added to the tank that may be the case, I'm not sure if S.A.E. do that though.

Look up Chinese Algae Eater. Looks like some varieties have markings similar to the SAE with some of the other colors in your fish, too. What is its behavior?

Haha wow this thread is awesome thanks or the help everyone. I have had the fish for 6 months. He is in a 45 gallon tall tank I was told the fish was a hummingbird tetra but not sure. The fish is somewhere in my tank but I can't find it for another picture.

He is only an inch Longish. has a rounded mouth and is very quick. He won't move and stays in place for a long time then will lunge forward at food

Here's some pictures

Attachments

• image-2525684811.jpg
    image-2525684811.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 71
  • image-884677936.jpg
    image-884677936.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 72
  • image-1744711722.jpg
    image-1744711722.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 70
  • image-1847817836.jpg
    image-1847817836.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 54
  • image-400498463.jpg
    image-400498463.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 73
Zimmanski is correct. ID is considered proper English by multiple authorities (OED was the closest I had at hand). In the future, if anyone thinks that a post is an egregious affront to the english language, please just report it and one of the moderating staff can correct it.

Back
Top Bottom