IM BACK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, ive been hanging out in SW a while but i have come back, im still in SW but my money has knocked my down a little. I am getting a 55 gallon african cichlid tank! Im really excited becuase im getting a 7 gallon reef (over time) and a cichlid tank! This is just too cool. Any ideas on fish? I know i want some electric blues and yellows!

Ooh, ooh I love cichlids, I am in the process of getting rid of my 'smaller' tanks as I have just got a new 130G, in the picture gallery if you wish to see. I have a combination that, a very disorganised combination, comprises of South and Central Americans and a couple of Africans, Malawi I think.

The americans, at least the ones I have, are not nearly as colourful as the Africans, specifically the Malawis but then the Tananikans are also very beautiful.

Try these sites for more info on cichlids:
www.cichlidtank.com
www.vatoelvis.com
www.cybercichlids.com

Personally choosing a cichlid would be down to each individual, I could suggest some cichlids but then I would be biased to the ones I recommend as they would be what I would consider my favourites, and they might not be yours?

There is also the dwarf cichlids to consider, but a 55 you could look at getting a couple of fairly niced sized fish once they are older.

Good luck, hope you enjoy your ciclids as much as I do :lol:

PS I forgot, I was too late when I discovered these beauties but maybe you will love them as well?:
http://www.gcca.net/index.htm?content=/fom/discus.htm

This is one of my beauties:
http://www.vatoelvis.com/N_livingstonii.html

Sorry again, you might want to look at Angels and a planted tank, they are very beautiful cichlids and when kept in a school of about 6 they are just something else to look at. These unfortunatley cannot be kept in a malawi environment. Very different water conditions, their pH requirements are slighty lower. Oscars are also very nice but they would out grow your 55 in no time.

Back
Top Bottom