in dire need of help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ForTheLoveOfFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a Pleco and I'm unsure of what kind of pleco he is. He is 13" and is in my 55gallon cichlid tank.

My girlfriend says he trips out every now and then but he looks calm to me...

I need to know what it means when his fin is up and when it is down.
What kind of pleco he is.
And can I keep him in the tank with the cichlids.(Fry)

It also looks as if his skin is peeling or something.(Got him like that)

All and any help I can get would be nice because I'm about to go buy a 55g just for him for now..

Attachments

• Cambridge-20120828-00197.jpg
    Cambridge-20120828-00197.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Hmmm definitely not a common... and I think he will need at least a 75 Gallon. A 55 will be a little bit to narrow for him.

As vanimal said, a common pleco and going to get way too big for your tank.

The skin peeling is likely either a result of his size causing him to get grazes or a water quality issue. Either way if you keep up your water quality I would expect them to disperse.

As for the fin, up normally means alert. As he's new he will likely be alert and a bit nervous for a while.

As vanimal said, a common pleco and going to get way too big for your tank.

The skin peeling is likely either a result of his size causing him to get grazes or a water quality issue. Either way if you keep up your water quality I would expect them to disperse.

As for the fin, up normally means alert. As he's new he will likely be alert and a bit nervous for a while.

He said definately not a common pleco, but i know he is going to get too big for my 55 im looking into getting a 110G because He looks like he is having trouble around my tank but seems calm at times...

Thanks agasin, but does anyone know if he can be kept with fry african cichlids? i feel as if they are picking on him....

that is one beautiful pleco, but i cannot help with determining the type because i have never seen markings like that before. if they pick on him then you should move either him or the cichlids but i do believe most people keep cichlids and plecos togethor.

He said definately not a common pleco, but i know he is going to get too big for my 55 im looking into getting a 110G because He looks like he is having trouble around my tank but seems calm at times...

Thanks agasin, but does anyone know if he can be kept with fry african cichlids? i feel as if they are picking on him....

My mistake :D

I still believe it's a common pleco however...though I do acknowledge there are far for plecos out there than what I have any knowledge of :D Still think those markings are still consistent with some common plecos.

Very pretty. He is lucky you now have him. I have to wonder if he has been picked on. (her?)

The markings remind me of worm wood. You could name it absinthe. :p

Yes i have ready articles on plecos being kept with cichlids....but i think because of how big he is he may actually be suckign up my fry cichlids lol...can that happen?

I know for sure that it isn't a common pleco because the commons are two shades of black. The pattern is not something I've seen before.

Back
Top Bottom