indian flasher barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mazdaman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anyone heard of this fish? They have it at my local big als under this name but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the web. Anyone know of this fish. It looks like a combo of neon tetra and silver tip tetra but larger and moves more like a barb in the tank. Thanks

Is ths your fish? Puntius mahecola?

Attachments

• pmahecola.jpg
    pmahecola.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,219
  • pmahecola.jpg
    pmahecola.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,251
Was it elongated? I really wish Big Als would put the scientific names on the tanks... the store here has a tank with "UFO Pleco's" in it, they are actually Hillstream Loaches... :roll:

First thing that came to mind is a rasbora (same family)..

savga, no that's not it. It's body is elongated more like an oversized neon tetra with two very bright yellow spots/sections on the tail fin. The body has a prominent strip from head to tiail in red. Really looks alot like a neon tetra just a little larger. Thanks for the help though... anyone else have any ideas?

that's getting closer wizzard. The body isn't quite so yellow/gold. More irredescant like the neon. The coloration is fairly similair as is the body shape. I'll try to get a scientific name or maybe even a picture when I go to big als again. Thanks for the help and keep the ideas comin!!! Thanks again.

That's the one that I believe Mazdaman is talking about...I remember looking them up when I saw them at Big Al's here too. The problem? They are $60 a piece (although they were 25% off when I was there today). 8O

Their colours are *much* more vibrant than in that pic...so much so that I had to ask whether they were painted (they're not, by the way).

a better picture is here

Another option might be the odessa barb, but it's not as elongated..

I can't find a good picture of a Redside barb ( Puntius bimaculatus) all the pictures I see don't have a red side :roll: :?

np, I've seen them at the local Big als and they are a relatively new addition, I'll have to swing in and check the price, for some reason I thought they were about 10$. Hope they stop making up names soon...

Best of luck, those fish get to be about 6" btw.. (considerably bigger then neons)

I checked the local one (hamilton) and they have a roseline shark for 34.99 @ 3"+ I would have picked it up, but I don't want to add anymore centerpiece fish :(

thanks guys, that is it. i just went to big als and got the scientifi and some other names. I was going to post the same pic wizzard did of the red-lined shark. Anyways thanks again. By the way the guy at big als was telling me they were so much $ because they have to import them due to no luck locally breeding it. Thanks again.. What does everyone think, pretty nice looking fish eh?

They are an endangered spieces (Just not according to India where they are native which is why they are available), that's why they are so expensive.. (as well as new to the hobby, and they've never been bred, they are all wild caught ATM.)

The site I linked to gave a price of 45$ US, sara said, 60$ at Edmonton, (seem to be in check) and the store here has 1 left for 35$..

As time goes on, they will come down in price , or they will be not available (due to extinction or India declaring them endangered), if you can get them for a good price, then I would, provided you have the space and need a centerpiece fish.. from the link earlier, they also look like they school, but @ 6" a school would be the entire tank...

They look much nicer in the second link.. (and they almost do them justice) Very nice if you can get some, just make sure to provide some current, since they are native to faster moving water...

Back
Top Bottom