Is it a territorial thing? **Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, since Friday when I introduced two additional Golden Apple snails there have been some problems.

First, the same night, Gary1 left the tank for the first time, took a fall similiar to Humpty Dumpty and nothing I could do could bring him back.

We've noticed that they've taken over the space under the driftwood that Cliff (aka sailfin gibbiceps) had claimed as his own. Cliff now resides at the rear of the tank puckered on the glass.

This morning, Gary2 turned up missing. An extensive search resulted in finding him inside the HOB filter basket (on top of the bio-balls).

Since then, Gary2 has continued to climb to the top of the tank and doesn't seem to want to come down.

The new snails are the size of a quarter. Gary1 and Gary2 are about a nickle.

They can be viewed here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=45069&highlight=

Have I created a turf war of sorts because of their size?

Am I having delusions and this is nothing to worry about?

Thank

~~~**Update**~~~

Well...after two days of watching Gary2 staying at the top of the tank, I got some info that Gary2 may well be "Gariette" and is probably looking for a place to lay eggs.

My wife felt that although snails are not "Territorial", if the egg-laying is a possibility, then we may as well start getting prepared.

My mother-in-law, who had lost her 9" fantail recently, has re-stocked her goldfish tank with a couple of new fantails. Figured mum could use a little more life in her tank, so we donated Gary4 (the largest one) to her (she didn't want both...which makes sense).

So, now I'm down to "Gariette" possibly ready to lay eggs and Gary3 for awhile.

Oh, Cliff has reclaimed his driftwood and no one else is allowed in. LOL

I've never heard of territorial snails. :eek:
I've read that apple snails can breathe air, and that they like to lay their eggs above the water line. Perhaps the water level in the tank is too high for their liking; hence the repeated escapes. Some nylon mesh siliconed in place around the lid's filter cutout may help.

A while back, I was considering getting apple snails, but I decided to have a planted tank instead. As I was researching these cool snails, I came across a great website completely dedicated to them.
http://www.applesnail.net/

Did you know that golden apple snails are a huge agricultural pest in Hawaii? They were intentionally introduced there to be raised and harvested as a culinary delicacy. Unfortunately, a few escaped.......

Back
Top Bottom