Is it safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got this... thing from an ex a long time ago. I think it was from a garage sale (thanks sweetie). It is so tacky, I would really like to put it in the 10 gallon breeding tank I'm about to set up. It's terra cotta, but its painted... I have no way of knowing what type of paint was used. Is there any way to know if it's safe to put in a tank? Or any way to proof it? I would be real ticked if I killed my GBR pair with this ugly thing. (ugly in a good way...)
img_773167_0_a4149cf62a140bbc3812ce247b093650.jpg

I don't know the answer to your question, but I personally wouldn't risk it. Besides the threat from the paint, I'd also be worried about the fish getting stuck in the holes!

Oo, good point. Darn, I guess I will never find a use for this awful thing. If there was a way I could know the paint was okay, I would fill the holes.

if it is painted using a TOXIC paint then you could always coat it with a clear gloss of....... well basicly anything!!!!!!

oh... and it would add a nice touch to the... uh... flat colors.......... (however bright they may be)

Ok, maybe I'm weird, but I like that piece !!! I may make something up like that in ceramics tomorrow ... seriously ! its cute :)

I do think the holes may be too small unless you did just neon tetras or something a similar size.

But because its painted I really wouldn't risk it. I'm not sure that clearcoating would completely protect it from leaching, but I could be wrong about that.

i guess there is a small chance it could be something that could leach though....... but if it is (the most common toxin in paint) lead then a clearcoating would seal... quite nicely!

Back
Top Bottom