Is my bacteria ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
My idiot brother knocked out his surge protector in which my filter was plugged into (I have the tank in his room). The AC30 drained the water and he didn't plug the surge protector back in for another hour. Is all my bacteria in the filter dead?

I'm no expert on this, but I would think so, if it would only an hour...I'm sure someone will chime in with a more rock solid answer...

One of the reasons I don't care for the AC line of HOBs personally.

Like was said, I think it all leans on whether or not it dried out completely or not. Watch your water parameters closely for the next week or so.

Don't forget that a major part of your bacterial filter is actually in the tank. We change out half of the media in a filter all the time with little or no ill effects.

If you are worried, check the water in the morning, but I'm sure you will be fine.

I am sure your bacteria will be fine. The substrate holds a lot of bacteria as well and I am sure the media couldn't have completely dried out.

I agree with the others, you are fine. When our Eclipse drained water into the surge protector we left it unplugged for over 24 hours without ill effect. Then we replaced it with an entirely new filter about 3 weeks ago. No readings of Ammonia or Nitrite whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom