Is my cycle complete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luis_j

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys!

I just wanted to know your opinion whether or not if my tank is cycled. I had the tank for about a month (fish-in cycle) and I started out with 2 plattys, 3 julii catfish, and 1 dwarf gourami. On the process of my tank being cycle my nitrite and ammonia were really high. Unfortunately, I lost my gourami and one of my catfish. After a couple of days my nitrite started going down along with the ammonia levels.

Water parameters as of right now:

pH- 7
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

What worries me is that my nitrates is zero. I thought I was supposed to have some nitrates when my tank was completely cycled. At one point my nitrates was 5, but that was when my nitrite and ammonia were really high. Just wanted to know your opinion because I wanted to get two more catfish because the one's that I have now look really sad and lonely. BTW, I have a 15 gallon tank with sand, heater, air bubbles, aqueon filter, one moss ball, and fake plants.

Thank you guys!

How does the chlorine level look? Do you add conditioner to the water? Water source from the tap or store? Water changes? Just throwing out some things that may help us get a little bit better idea of what's going on? And Welcome if you haven't been welcomed yet.

How does the chlorine level look? Do you add conditioner to the water? Water source from the tap or store? Water changes? Just throwing out some things that may help us get a little bit better idea of what's going on? And Welcome if you haven't been welcomed yet.

Hello!,

I use RO water so I don't add any conditioner. I have put PRIME and other chemicals when my nitrites and ammonia were really high. That's about it, I also did a water change this morning. (I been doing water changes everyday now)

What test kit are you using? Did you test after the water change or before?

Also are you remineralizing the RO water? RO water is basically distilled water which has zero nutrients for the fish or bacteria, so you'd need to add something like Seachem Replenish or Ken's RO Rite.

What test kit are you using? Did you test after the water change or before?

Also are you remineralizing the RO water? RO water is basically distilled water which has zero nutrients for the fish or bacteria, so you'd need to add something like Seachem Replenish or Ken's RO Rite.

Remineralizing the RO water? I've actually never done that. :( I will be buying one of those nutrients today. I use API test kit and I test before a water change and then I test again after a water change ( I usually wait more than a few hours after a water change to test the water).

Once those nitrate levels go down your pretty much in the clear. CONGRATS!!!! The best sign is however if the tank is clear and everything is spotless. Dont do it so much on your own the microbs have to do it on their own. Other then that, aside from your casualties its time to go out and buy fish!!!

Back
Top Bottom