Is my tank safe from cracking??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annnie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I had read that someone's tank cracked because it wasn't positioned properly on the Styrofoam (however it was alot bigger than mine and older). My tank is not on the Styrofoam properly :( . In your opinion do you think my tank will be ok?.

here is a picture showing the left edge hanging over the foam
img_1158855_0_29b281c898285bd137ccfa51c8acf86b.jpg

and here is a picture showing the right side's back corner hanging over the edge of the cabinet
img_1158855_1_71f518d18ca6a1db09ba78659ed42553.jpg

the parts over hanging are only a few millimeters but will this be a problem with my tank?.. it's about 37 gallons however that doesn't account for the substrate, air left at the top and other factors.

I really hope this is ok.. otherwise i'll have to pretty much take everything out including the fish to fix it :(

cheers,
annie

Why did you place the styrofoam under the tank?
IF a surface is level then a thin strip of weather stripping along the edges is all that's needed to even out the minor imperfections.

Generally the corners bear the weight, but the trim on yours is picking up and distributing that somewhat.

For a 37 I think you'll be fine as long as the tank is level.

Styrofoam under the tank is a trick that people use to smooth out the imperfections under LARGE tanks (100g+). I've seen it done under large glass and acrylic tanks to allow the tanks to self-level a bit.

Personally, with a 37g, I'd take it off the foam and put it on a stand that supports the entire bottom of the aquarium. A large tank being a little out of level is in danger of cracking. Smaller tanks rarely have that problem. Since your tank is frameless, I might put a thin piece (1/4") of foam rubber underneath to protect the stand and the tank.

The styro is the right thing for a tank without a rim. Tanks don't generally crack from being out of level, but rather from tourquing, or uneven bottom support, or, point loading on the bottom, such as 1 grain of gravel under a rimless tank. You did the right thing, and it appears that it should be fine as is.

ok thanks everyone. The store i bought it off said that the Styrofoam spreads and absorbs the weight of the tank and without it, it could crack.

Yep, here in Aus. it seems that it is automatic, you get your tanks and you get styrofoam to go under it. Seems to be standard practice.

ah well.. it was only a few bucks. One of my 30 litre tanks came with Styrofoam built in the bottom hahaha

Back
Top Bottom