Is quality fish food worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
I recently picked up fine pellet fish food and the list of ingredients actually starts off with real fish names rather than just 'fish meal' plus other stuff and vitamins. Probably the most I have ever paid.

Normally I try and go for middle of the range fish food. And not the super cheap stuff that looks like it has been re-bagged and may not be so fresh (plus no ingredients list).

So I'm wondering if there is much difference between middle of the road and really expensive fish food? Do I look at main ingredients or the vitamin list at the end?

Over here in TN, food like NLS is hardly more than a can of flakes at the LFS. I think a variety is the key to a healthy diet. My big thing in the winter time is going to be buying worms because it's too cold to go dig them out of the yard :D

Caleb

Delapool being in Australia like you I am unsure as to what brands of food we can obtain here in our tightly controlled country *cough cough aquaone ;) . To answer your question yes I think high quality food matters but I don't seen an issue with using mid range flake food. I found that tetramin has worked well for me and can still obtain it cheaply which helps when you start getting more and more fish. I'd love to know your thoughts on brands that work for you too?

Delapool being in Australia like you I am unsure as to what brands of food we can obtain here in our tightly controlled country *cough cough aquaone ;) . To answer your question yes I think high quality food matters but I don't seen an issue with using mid range flake food. I found that tetramin has worked well for me and can still obtain it cheaply which helps when you start getting more and more fish. I'd love to know your thoughts on brands that work for you too?

Yes, lol - I usually get aqua one as it is cheap (usually vege wafers or spirulina flakes). But lots of x,y,z 'meal' products and max ash 16% (whatever that is but I assume undigestible). It is easy to find though for vege wafers.

Tetra min I usually buy as well but it seems really expensive / hard to find for algae eaters?? Any brands to search for there? I usually buy that as well for main feed. I've just thrown out the container but it seems less mess and maybe fry do better. Mostly as flakes but sometimes pellets. Bit more expensive but I like this one. Is this your preferred one?

Then I found nls in the lfs on the weekend. :) I do have the price and it was $43 for 275g (9.7oz) for 0.8mm semi-floating pellets. Krill, herring, squid listed first up. Max ash 9%. The pellets actually do mainly float unlike another brand I tried where they just rained down straight away to hit the catfish so tick there. They do seem less mess, probably not bad value and fish eat them.

The NLS were a nasty shock though on cost (so much so I had to buy some tetras to cheer myself up) so I did wonder if worth it. Particularly as all containers for sale were quite large so I'm little worried on it going stale before I use it up. However it does seem we are seeing more brand variety here in the last year so thought to ask. I've thought of buying online but figure this is something I can buy at the lfs as an excuse to go in...

I buy omega one and it really seems to make a difference for fish color and happiness honestly.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
10g betta, nano fish, shrimp
5.5g betta

Yes, lol - I usually get aqua one as it is cheap (usually vege wafers or spirulina flakes). But lots of x,y,z 'meal' products and max ash 16% (whatever that is but I assume undigestible). It is easy to find though for vege wafers.

Tetra min I usually buy as well but it seems really expensive / hard to find for algae eaters?? Any brands to search for there? I usually buy that as well for main feed. I've just thrown out the container but it seems less mess and maybe fry do better. Mostly as flakes but sometimes pellets. Bit more expensive but I like this one. Is this your preferred one?

Then I found nls in the lfs on the weekend. :) I do have the price and it was $43 for 275g (9.7oz) for 0.8mm semi-floating pellets. Krill, herring, squid listed first up. Max ash 9%. The pellets actually do mainly float unlike another brand I tried where they just rained down straight away to hit the catfish so tick there. They do seem less mess, probably not bad value and fish eat them.

The NLS were a nasty shock though on cost (so much so I had to buy some tetras to cheer myself up) so I did wonder if worth it. Particularly as all containers for sale were quite large so I'm little worried on it going stale before I use it up. However it does seem we are seeing more brand variety here in the last year so thought to ask. I've thought of buying online but figure this is something I can buy at the lfs as an excuse to go in...

I use the tetra min tropical crisps they were about $9 for a small container that lasted me two months which I was happy with, seemed to be the best one I've come across. Was going to give the Seachem line a go, thoughts on this line of products? other wise hikari do alright I know. I have more problems trying to secure live blackworms from SA... so the cheaper I can get my food the better.

Hi, thanks for the link. Couldn't see which one to open? On old, small iPhone.....
Hit the NLS link.
Or go to this one(both same page and info)
http://www.oscarfish.com/foods-review/nls.html
Then on that page go to fish food ingredients (on the left for explanation of analysis) then to 0-5 star foods(there are no 6 star foods.
It really does tell about several common foods.
I think good food is worth the cost but also have the benefit of kensfish who ships bulk food cheap(many varieties and good quality.)

If you see real fish in the food instead of fish meal, that is probably the better choice. I have really been happy with the Spectrum New Life formula. They make a bunch of different ones for different types and sizes of fish. It is very high quality food. A little more expensive, but you don't use as much because it so nutritious, so money wise , I think it comes out about the same and the fish get the benefit of a good diet.

Hit the NLS link.
Or go to this one(both same page and info)
http://www.oscarfish.com/foods-review/nls.html
Then on that page go to fish food ingredients (on the left for explanation of analysis) then to 0-5 star foods(there are no 6 star foods.
It really does tell about several common foods.
I think good food is worth the cost but also have the benefit of kensfish who ships bulk food cheap(many varieties and good quality.)

Hi, got it figured out. Thanks for this link, I'll read through.

IMO Hikari is OK, but not great. They have become the top name in fish food, sort of like Purina for dog food, but I don't think it is the best quality food. They probably sell more, and they are certainly better than the cheapest stuff, but if you are really into this hobby, why not spend $3 dollars more on food? I know you spend plenty on fish, so give them good food? I have found that the high grade food actually lasts longer and causes less mess in the tank, than the cheap stuff.

The New Life Spectrum betta pellets are smaller than the Hikari ones.

I personally don't like tetra brand foods, but that's just me.

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

Ok, so what do I look for? Will check out other brands. Still reading article which is really good.

The first listed ingredients seems easy - I just look for stuff better sounding than 'fish (or some other) meal', anything else to check? Thanks!

Dainichi has great reviews but I've never tried it.

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

Hi all,

Realised I have a second problem. I really wanted floating (rather than sinking pellets) and flakes weren't on offer. The container is bigger than I thought (limited choice there as well) and I'm going to put some in a container for use while the NLS container is tucked away so it is not getting opened as often (hopefully that keeps it more fresh).

Any thoughts on how long pellets will stay fresh for once opened? I probably have at least several months of supply here which has got me worried it won't keep that long.

I'm thinking I may have to order online next time so I can get exactly what I want. Still reading the link(!) but just about converted to top end fish foods (well, for here anyways). I must admit it's tempting to try one myself and see if they are any good on taste ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom