Is this a bacteria bloom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wazgud

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some cloudy water in my tank, set it up yesterday with some Marineland Bacteria. Just wondering if the cloudiness is bacteria or is it something else?

Attachments

• 2014-07-09 20.03.35.jpg
    2014-07-09 20.03.35.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 85
White cloudiness is usually a bacterial bloom... but its not the same type of bacteria that you're trying to cultivate for your cycle. Its not harmful to your fish, but it can prevent the growth of the correct bacteria colony by taking up all of the surface area and consuming the food sources.
The good news is that it will usually work its self out and your cycle can start up again. You can help the process along by cleaning out any left over food and other organic waste that is decaying and producing ammonia. Removing the bacteria that's floating around in your water column via water changes doesn't hurt either.
Here is a link if you would like to learn more about bacterial blooms.

Bacterial Blooms Explained - New to the Hobby Questions and Answers - Tropical Fish Forums

Is Your substrate sand? If it is (it looks grainy to me), it looks like it's just cloudy from the sand particles being disturbed when adding the water when you set it up. It'll settle in 1-2 days IME , same thing happened to me when I set up my 10g. :)

here's a pic when I just added sand, after it was a qt tank.
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - jaketetra28's Album: Re-setup my 10g - Picture

this is what it looked like the day after, when I added an extra plant and prepared driftwood.
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - jaketetra28's Album: Re-setup my 10g for the swordtails - Picture

Hmm, I don't think it's sand because when I set it up (yesterday) it wasn't as cloudy. I actually really think it's just bacteria since the last thing I did before I noticed it get pretty darn cloudy was add some tetra safestart(two cap fulls). Let me hear your opinion guys.

Hmm, I don't think it's sand because when I set it up (yesterday) it wasn't as cloudy. I actually really think it's just bacteria since the last thing I did before I noticed it get pretty darn cloudy was add some tetra safestart(two cap fulls). Let me hear your opinion guys.

If it has gotten more cloudy than your right it's not sand , it wouldn't make sense for it to get cloudier

Back
Top Bottom