Is this normal behavior for a red tailed shark?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
My friends red tailed shark is swimming upright against the glass in one area and not moving from that spot. I usually don't see him out an about because he hides in the castle but since I took the castle out he's being more out and antagonizing all fish that are dark colored and will now just swim up against the glass in the front like it's one of my oto cats only he's not being stuck to the glass with his mouth but just swimming there.

Sounds like you took his home away and he's pissed! Put the castle back in and see what happens.....

Yeah but it's been out for a couple days lol and he's just starting to do it. If I put it back in I know he'll go hide in it. He never comes out of it except once in a blue moon to find food.

How would you feel if cameover and took your home!!!! :p jk

Just give him somthing to hide in, a clean opaque cup will do the trick till the castel gets back.

He has plants he can hide in, he's just a spoiled brat lol

He'll get his castle back when I clean out the 10 gal and fix it up >_> lol

Mine has a little cave that he spends some time in, but most of the time he cleans the algae off the plants and rocks. Of course, mine is a little guy.

If he isn't cleaning the glass, I don't know what he's doing.

yep mine does t his, especially in the bubble tube, I noticed he only does this when my dalmation molly gets in his cave

Yeah there's no one back there unless my big blue gourami took it over for a bit lol but I just moved him into the 10 gal with my red dwarf gourami and 3 few month old molly fry

Puriti said:
He has plants he can hide in, he's just a spoiled brat lol

He'll get his castle back when I clean out the 10 gal and fix it up >_> lol

Sharks prefer caves, period. They don't feel as safe hiding in plants.
My buddy has a Columbian shark that does the same 'by the glass' thing. Ever since the redtail took over his cave.

Give him a better place to hide. I'm assuming you didn't remove it just so you could see him more. If so, don't be so selfish. hehehe

This thread made me laugh out loud.

Yeah, picture a big hand coming down and taking YOUR house away. Then a big voice from the sky calls you a baby for complaining when there are still plenty of bushes for you to hide in.

Give poor sharkie his castle back. You meanie. :D

are there any other semi aggressices in the tnak? perhaps one that cn kick hte sharks ass?

That is how I know if things werent fine in my tanks before, my shark would go hid in a corner of hte glass, siwmming striaght upright. Perhaps any other spots have been taken up or claimed by a more agressive fish, one that the shark cant push out. so you need to add at least one more hiding spot, preferably two or three.

The only other semi agressive fish in my tank is my steelblue gourami but he only chases my other gouramis around XP just because he's bigger lol.

He's had his castle back for a few days now :3

Back
Top Bottom