Is this ok for a 55?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkie1025

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank, with a juvenile jack dempsey, 2 angelfish, and a pleco. Can I get more fish? If so, which should I get?

Pleco and jack will outgrow a 55 quickly and the angels shouldn't be with a jack either. I wouldn't reccomend any fish until you decide the direction you wanna take you stock list and either rehome or upgrade tank size for the two listed fish.

What kind of pleco do you have? And I wouldn't suggest getting more fish, the jack Dempsey will grow to a pretty good size and depending on the size pleco, they grow to be pretty large also. Ive never kept angelfish but, from what I know, you'd be over stocked if you added to your current stock IMO.

But id wait for more responses also to get more opinions. Sometimes if you clean your tank more and get a larger filter you can have a larger stock I believe.

I should add that I may be wrong about the pleco but I'm assuming that it is just a common pleco which if that's the case then ill stick to what I said originally. What I would reccomend is just turning the tank into a angel community with maybe 4-5 angels, 1 or 2 schools of Tetras or rasboras, and either a designer pleco that wouldn't be suited to that tank size or a school of Cory cats.

I should add that I may be wrong about the pleco but I'm assuming that it is just a common pleco which if that's the case then ill stick to what I said originally. What I would reccomend is just turning the tank into a angel community with maybe 4-5 angels, 1 or 2 schools of Tetras or rasboras, and either a designer pleco that wouldn't be suited to that tank size or a school of Cory cats.

I have a leopard butterfly pleco.

I may be wrong but I think there is a leopard frog, and a butterfly, not a leopard butterfly. Either way though that could stay then but the jack can't be kept permanently with the angels and shouldn't be kept in a tank of that size.

look pictures up and see what kind it is. The butterfly pleco might be fine, growing to about 6 inch. but the leopard one gets much larger.

Back
Top Bottom