Is this the worst thing that can happen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluestman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So it's just gone midnight and I'm in the kitchen making a drinl, suddenly I hear a loud crack!! I don't know how but I knew what it was. I look into my lounge and see my 30 gallon tank draining onto the floor. Shouted for the wife to get towels, she throws me 2 tea cloths lol. I grab all the bath towels we have (the ones I moaned about my wife buying) and press them against the crack to slow the flow of water. Wife suddenly realises the situation and takes over holding the towels. I then take 30 minutes to siphon out all the water and catch the fish.

Fish are currently in a washing up bowl in the kitchen with a heater. Can't fit a pump in there. Will be taking fish to LFS tomorrow and leaving them there until I've decided whether to replace the tank or not. More a question of economics than anything. Carpet has to be replaced, it already smells, and the flat below more than likely has water damage too so I will be responsible for any repairs. Not sure my wife is too sympathetic either at the moment. My place is trashed!!!

Checking out the tank I can't see how it happened. I haven't touched the tank in a couple of days and suddenly it has a crack from top to bottom at the front. Tank was about 6 years old by the way.

Is this something that happens on a regular basis or simply a one off?

Wow that is strange. Did you have a ridiculous amount of rocks or anything that possibly could have added pressure? Trying to help you think of how this could have happened... I know everything happens for a reason but it's figuring out why that is the hard part :p

Call the manufacturer of the tank and ask for a refund. It sounds like the glass was improperly made.

Happened to me, woke up at 3 in the morning on a school night with my 60G half empty on the floor.

It sucks really does, hopefully you can get something from the tank though because I tried to fix mine and it started leaking on me again 2 weeks after the fix, just an old tank though 20+ years at least

That sucks .....

Generally tank glass don't just crack for no reason, esp. the front panes. Bottom glass may crack due to pressure points from rocks & other heavy objects. <That is the reason to spread out the weight with eggcrates.>

If the tank is not resting perfectly level on the stand (eg a gap at one corner that is not shimmed up), there may be stress build up that cause tank failure. (Usually, it is a seam that separates, and not broken glass, and usu. only seen with big tanks .... but I guess it can happen with smaller tanks.) Sometimes a big fish can knock off a rock or something that bangs against the front or side glass, causing a small defect that can fail suddenly a few days later ....

You have my sympathy, especially regarding a downstairs neighbor and having to pay for damages. I had a 90 gallon tank do something similar a few years ago. It was just over a year old (so just OUT of warranty). I did not hear anything, just happened to get up in the middle of the night for some reason...and stepped into a 1/4 inch deep puddle that covered my entire living room. We have linoleum, so the water was going across the whole room, and exiting down the stairs to the basement...right into two large litter boxes filled with clay litter, and cat "stuff". The falling water had filled the litter boxes, and kept on pouring into the resulting soup...cat "stuff" was splashed in a 6 foot wide circle. VERY nice...

Anyway, the tank was cracked from the bottom left corner (of the back) right across to the upper right corner. I never came up with a reason...I bought it new, and had been very careful in its handling and transport. Super sturdy (over-built) home-made stand, perfectly level. The replacement tank has been in the same spot, same stand, for 5 years now with no problem.

I think it's just something that happens, rarely. A tank might have a manufacturing flaw, but why did yours break after 6 years? Is your stand level? Did you ever drop a rock or ornament in it? Hmmmm....

img_1130175_0_8281a3b35a91682f601a44b8404fdf97.jpg

Cost so far is incredible. Guy from LFS is coming to pick up the fish for free. Guy coming to take broken tank £20. Guy coming to fit new carpets on Friday £833. Estimated cost of repairs to downstairs flat £200-£300. Chances of me getting another aquarium and remaining married - nil.

Still cannot fathom why it broke. For now at least I'll have to be content with my 5 gallon shrimp tank :(

That's a bummer man, seems like as soon as you think your doing alright something turns around and happens.

It'll take time but you'll get through it, the hardest part is always the beginning.

Thanks guys, most of the fish have been taken away yesterday. I have put 4 hatchet fish in my 5 gallon along with the common pleco. I know the common pleco is going to be too big for the tank in a couple of months and when he starts reaching that size I'll rehome him. I am most gutted about my red tailed shark. He was already too big for the 5 gallon so had to be rehomed. He had beautiful colouring, jet black with a bright red tail and a small white "freckle" on his dorsal fin. Prettiest fish I ever owned :(.

I am now just constantly monitoring the 5 gallon as I expect a mini cycle any moment. I think it is overstocked and not an ideal situation. It has : 4 marbled hatchet fish, 1 endlers (male), 1 common pleco (2" long atm) and some red cherry shrimp and snails.

Can anyone tell me how many of these fish I can keep in a tank this size?

I don't know how big hatchet fish are/get, but the endlers should be fine. So should the shrimp and snails, I think they will be good in there for a little while as long as youkeep filtration going and water changes. Or you could get one of those rubbermaid bins, put a filter and air stone in it and they could be in there for a while. The pleco at least. I know hatchet fish are jumpers so that might not be too good of an idea... just brainstorming for you :) I hope all turns out well.

Has anyone ever seen an acrylic tank break like this?
I have read that they do not crack or break, but don't know for sure.:confused:
Depending how do they compare in price, it might be a good option for a "next tank".
It might allow for "Chances of getting another aquarium and remaining married"!;)

Acrylic is less likely to break compared to glass, but it is possible to crack one. <Eg. if the tank is not fully supported at the bottom - as opposed to glass tanks, which are supported at the rims only.>

A big acrylic tank costs maybe 3x that of glass. Small (under 5 gal) acrylic tanks are cheap, but also cheaply made & don't last long .....

Have you look into renters/home owner's insurance that covers water damage? <My house insurance will cover floods from a fish tank ....>

Back
Top Bottom