Is this true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read that if your local water supply uses chloramine instead of just chlorine that you'll never have 0 ammonia. I also read that beneficial bacteria underperforms in acidic water and does better in alkaline water? Is this true?

No & Yes.
When you have chloramine in your water, you use a product ( ie prime, safe) that breaks the chlorine ammonia bond and converts the ammonia to ammonium then the bacteria in your tank will consume and convert that so you will eventually have a 0 ammonia level.

Nitrifying bacteria will do better in higher PHs than lower. However, the plus side to the lower Ph is that when PH is under 6.8- 7.0 ammonia is converted to ammonium which is much less toxic to the fish and so with a lower PH, the need for nitrifying bacteria goes down. ( There's a much more technical explanation but this is the short version. ;) )

Hope this helps. (y)

No & Yes.
When you have chloramine in your water, you use a product ( ie prime, safe) that breaks the chlorine ammonia bond and converts the ammonia to ammonium then the bacteria in your tank will consume and convert that so you will eventually have a 0 ammonia level.

Nitrifying bacteria will do better in higher PHs than lower. However, the plus side to the lower Ph is that when PH is under 6.8- 7.0 ammonia is converted to ammonium which is much less toxic to the fish and so with a lower PH, the need for nitrifying bacteria goes down. ( There's a much more technical explanation but this is the short version. ;) )

Hope this helps. (y)

Great info here [emoji106]

+1 wish we all had Andy's knowledge to passing. He's like your favorite author, can't wait to read everything he posts.

Truth!! Andy is a boss.

Thanks guys but I am just trying to do my part to make the hobby a better one than it's been. It all comes from experience. (y)
I encourage you all, especially newbies, to read another post here on AA as well. If ever there should be a sticky, this thread is it!!!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/bad-advice-358729.html

Back
Top Bottom